Brake fluid. Making a big difference?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Brake fluid. Making a big difference?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 7, 2018 at 22:42 Quote
Hi !
Started a rebuild project of some good old hope V2 and mono6 brakes. Pretty much getting new bits inside the calibers, new braided hoses and also tech3 levers instead of the moto ones.
Now to the main question:
Does different brake fluids make any difference to the feeling of the brake? Like harder or softer, slower or faster, etc.
All options should be dot 5.1 approved(?)

Castrol react SRF. Used in race cars and manufacturer promises ”hard pedal” feel at least for cars. Pretty high dry boiling boint compared to many competitors.

Anyone got any experience of using this or any other hi-tech brake fluids for bicycle brake systems?

Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 8:59 Quote
You won't feel a difference. Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with the soft goods.

Posted: Nov 9, 2018 at 16:29 Quote
Nickd268 wrote:
You won't feel a difference. Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with the soft goods.

This.
Assuming a proper bleed, any brake fluid will work identically at first. The ones with a higher boiling point (DOT 4, DOT 5.1,) will continue to operate under excessively hot conditions, but I'd wager bicycles do not generate enough heat for that to matter.
Also, make sure not to use DOT 5, as that one is silicone based and will not mix with DOT 3, DOT 4 or DOT 5.1.
Finally, I'm not sure what fluid goes into the Hope brakes; I'm assuming brake fluid and not mineral oil. If I'm wrong, obviously all the above goes out the window.

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 1:11 Quote
Some years ago before going to Portes du Soliel I decided to change the fluid in my Hope mini/M4 (not mono) on my Intense M1and chose Neo Super Dot 610 to prevent brake fade. It was successful I never had any issues whatsoever that year or the following year. My mate who had been there a year earlier had problems with brake fade on his Hope brakes and took a different approach by installing phenolic pistons instead of the metal ones. This approach was also successful. He was a very good technical rider and I know that I would have been dragging my brakes most of the way down whereas he would have been braking very much later and but harder.
I've been riding my Liteville 601 a lot and this has Hope Tech3/e3 with normal DOT5.1 so when I jumped back on the M1 I frightened myself to death with the difference in braking performance. Obviously the M1 is a much heavier bike 40lbs vs 30lbs. I have now put Hope Tech3/V4 again with the standard DOT5.1.
I've just changed a caliper half on the M4 front brake so that I can fit them to my wife's Stumpjumper instead of the Avid's that came fitted to it. I've nearly used all the Neo Super Dot 610 during the change over as the pistons were sticking and needed some tlc to sort it out. This fluid is way past it's best before date (maybe that's why I frightened myself to death!) so when I actually fit them to the frame I will replace the fluid with the standard DOT5.1 that came with the Tech3/V4.

Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 11:45 Quote
luhtiis wrote:
Hi !
Started a rebuild project of some good old hope V2 and mono6 brakes. Pretty much getting new bits inside the calibers, new braided hoses and also tech3 levers instead of the moto ones.
Now to the main question:
Does different brake fluids make any difference to the feeling of the brake? Like harder or softer, slower or faster, etc.
All options should be dot 5.1 approved(?)

Castrol react SRF. Used in race cars and manufacturer promises ”hard pedal” feel at least for cars. Pretty high dry boiling boint compared to many competitors.

Anyone got any experience of using this or any other hi-tech brake fluids for bicycle brake systems?
I'm running 5.1 in my Hope M6ti, just because that's what I had.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008048
Mobile Version of Website