Barbegazi vs Gnarwhal Tires

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Barbegazi vs Gnarwhal Tires
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 14:29 Quote
I'm looking at buying a 2018 Trek Farley 5 that comes with gnarwhals. I notice that the 2019's now come with a barbegazi tire in the rear and a gnarwhal in front. They offered to put a barbegazi on the rear for me on the 2018, but I'm wondering how much of a different this will make?

I test rode the 2018 with gnarwhals and noticed it does roll pretty slow and thought the barbegazi would be a bit better, but the main reason I'm buying the fat bike is for winter riding in snow. So I guess my big question is... How much worse will the barbegazi be in deeper snow?

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 at 16:05 Quote
That slow rolling feeling is also apparent on handpacked snow. The advantage of the Gnarwhal is that you can add studs and tackle icier conditions and larger blocking allows you to find bite in slightly deeper loose snow with more ease.

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
BlurredLines wrote:
That slow rolling feeling is also apparent on handpacked snow. The advantage of the Gnarwhal is that you can add studs and tackle icier conditions and larger blocking allows you to find bite in slightly deeper loose snow with more ease.

Thanks.

Does anyone have experience running the barbegazi's in deeper snow? I would imagine they're ok enough?

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 13:17 Quote
What size of frame? Apparently the smaller frames cannot fit a gnarwall with studs. That may impact your decision.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 16:48 Quote
I have a 2018 Farley 5 in size medium that came with a Barbegazi on the rear. I switched it out with a studded Gnarwhal and to my delight it has plenty of clearance.

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 9:09 Quote
shoots wrote:
...Does anyone have experience running the barbegazi's in deeper snow? I would imagine they're ok enough?

Barbes are descent non-winter tires. Replace the Barbe with a Gnar you will be glad you did.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 12:14 Quote
shoots wrote:
BlurredLines wrote:

Thanks.

Does anyone have experience running the barbegazi's in deeper snow? I would imagine they're ok enough?

The Barbe's are fine. The Gnarwhal's are supposedly better.

The G's are heavier and can be studded.

So if you are racing, B's. For just riding, G's

Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 12:46 Quote
Swerny wrote:
shoots wrote:
BlurredLines wrote:

Thanks.

The Barbe's are fine. The Gnarwhal's are supposedly better.

The G's are heavier and can be studded.

So if you are racing, B's. For just riding, G's

Agreed, additional tidbit with the Gnarwhal is that it tends to self steer less than the Barbegazi, but the cornering blocks of the Gnarwhal do bite into nearly anything that they encounter. If I could only have one set it would be the Gnarwhal.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010399
Mobile Version of Website