Prevention of injuries For freeride/dirt jumping

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Prevention of injuries For freeride/dirt jumping
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 2:10 Quote
Ok, let Me get this started. I'm seventeen and I'm still growing a bit but I'm on the chubby side and I want to get fitter and stronger but I don't want to just lift a bunch of weights that may not benefit in my riding. I have heard gaining muscle in certain places can help prevent injury. (and some top slopestyle guys do this training, But do not go into detail)

So I'm looking for a workout that can improve:
Flexibility (good for tricks and for when you crash)
Muscle (I want to know where I should focus on eg core, back, etc) (would prefer a lot of body weight exercises in there as well)
Fitness (if I just ride more trails and BMX tracks this will improve anyway)
Looking to do 3 days a week at the gym

I feel like this isn't talked about enough, Becuase all the top guys do it why should us smaller amateurs not do it. If it means we could walk away from a crash and still be able to ride surely it's a benefit for everyone.

Thank if you reply any help is welcome.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 2:58 Quote
I'm not going to go into much specifics and I'm not exactly an expert but in terms of the gym for muscle strength 5 sets of 5 reps with 2-3 mins of rest in between them is the best way to do it for strength. For MTBing the areas that are the best to work on are the chest + triceps for pushing the bike into the ground for jumps and bunnyhops. Shoulders because they are vital for controlling the bike through its handlebars. Legs are obviously for pedalling and yet more weighting the bike for jumping and bunnyhopping. The core is probably the most important one you can exercise because it's responsible for controlling and coordinating the rest of your body. For fitness, Setting two markers about 50m apart and sprinting from one to another and then gently jogging back does wonders for your fitness. I'm not very sure about flexibility but I'm confident a quick google search will do wonders.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I hope it helps.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:39 Quote
Dig trails. No better way to get brolic than moving a shitload of dirt into cool stuff to ride. Digging is the best workout, hands down.

I know you looking for specific reps and stuff to focus on certain areas of the body to keep from getting hurt, but I´m a big proponent of the ¨functional fitness¨ stuff, and digging holes in the ground is free.

Plus, basically all the best memories I have are from digging dirt and riding jumps with my friends, trails are fkin awesome.

Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 7:30 Quote
Core core core... 90% can be done in your living room..
Get a Bosu "ball" and start doing slow squats on it, hold a weight or a gallon of milk at arms length in front of you while doing so to increase difficulty. Its a huge core workout along with those all important legs (I need to follow my own advice honestly)
Planking can do wonders too.. you don't really need to kill yourself to make gains or just starting out..

There's a number of bike specific workout/yoga routines avaliable on youtube as well..

Or, of you're able (I'm not, thanks scoliosis) go dig..

Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 9:23 Quote
Dig trails and ride a lot combined with yoga (yes Yoga) is a good balanced workout. If you haven't checked her out already, Abi Carver has MTB specific yoga videos on here that you might find helpful. Also learning when and how to properly bail can prevent serious injuries. Look at the Slopestyle guys when they crash. Often times they reduce their impacts enough to walk away unscathed. Admittedly not easy or fun to learn but probably the most helpful.

Posted: Dec 19, 2018 at 8:39 Quote
da-gooner wrote:
Dig trails and ride a lot combined with yoga (yes Yoga) is a good balanced workout. If you haven't checked her out already, Abi Carver has MTB specific yoga videos on here that you might find helpful.

Cosigning the yoga. Wake up, roll you a doobie, pour some coffee and get your stretch on. Best way to start the day and an awesome way to improve your bike handling skills (core strength)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009443
Mobile Version of Website