Don Valley Toronto MTB

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 22:15 Quote
As somebody that's not really into the dj/bmx scene, should I let that put me off, or is there still lots to do?
How long do people usually spend there? 2 hours?
Once you've purchased a ticket are you allowed to leave and come back?
If I get there and decide I'd rather rent a dj instead of ride my own bike, is there a place to leave my bike while I ride the rental?

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 22:56 Quote
Ah the tried and true Don. Fun times were had with the Rats. Amazing little network of trails in that little ribbon of trees.

I found that the bike that I killed it with in the Don was unrideable once I moved to The Shore! Full XC race bike rendered useless overnight.

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 6:43 Quote
ddean wrote:
Ah the tried and true Don. Fun times were had with the Rats. Amazing little network of trails in that little ribbon of trees.

I found that the bike that I killed it with in the Don was unrideable once I moved to The Shore! Full XC race bike rendered useless overnight.

Don't doubt it. The don keeps getting better, but I've ridden most trails fine on an XC bike, but on a more aggro hardtail or bike like a Process 111 I have the most fun. Every season there are more things to ride off and new things to go down and a pure XC bike is sub optimal for that stuff. How long ahve you been out west?? Talk of the Donrats makes me think it's been a while. Have we met??

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
As somebody that's not really into the dj/bmx scene, should I let that put me off, or is there still lots to do?
How long do people usually spend there? 2 hours?
Once you've purchased a ticket are you allowed to leave and come back?
If I get there and decide I'd rather rent a dj instead of ride my own bike, is there a place to leave my bike while I ride the rental?

I don't bring my bike anymore (well, this year). Thursdays are half price for old people, which is over 30yr, so for $30 you can get in and have a rental which is better than any MTB bike. I can put in a couple of hours on the pump track, jump lines and then the foam pit and be tired and satisfied. Your Transition 26 would be fine there if you ask me, if you wanna save 10 or 15 bucks, just don't bring a full-sus whatever you do.

If you're not that into jumps it'll get old. There are a bunch of skinnies etc. you can ride, but personally, I find that stuff gets old.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
@JesseE, I think you have me sold on the bike rental. $10-15 is worth it to me not to have to dust the old trans am up and swap tires, and haul it there.
I'm thinking by the sounds of it, I probably wouldn't make the drive there just to check it out, but since I'll be in the area I might give it a go.
Thanks guys

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
It's pretty fun at least once. Definitely novel!

blazekelly wrote:
@JesseE, I think you have me sold on the bike rental. $10-15 is worth it to me not to have to dust the old trans am up and swap tires, and haul it there.
I'm thinking by the sounds of it, I probably wouldn't make the drive there just to check it out, but since I'll be in the area I might give it a go.
Thanks guys

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
The Don is amazing. I started riding there in 2012. Went through a few entry level bikes to see what works. April 2018 I bought a Vitus Sommet. I hit up the Don about twice a week last year. It got me out of a serious depression.

This past October, on the last little section of Climbmax at the big drop off, I went OTB and broke my collarbone. Good thing it was at the end of the season. I'm spending this winter recovering and getting stronger.

I also decided to build a second bike to keep me busy. Chromag Aperture. 26" Fox vanilla R 140mm. TBH, anything more than a nice aggressize hardtail is waaay overkill for the Don.

If anyone has any questions about the Don, or is down for a ride, hit me up.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
Sh00terMcGavin wrote:
The Don is amazing. I started riding there in 2012. Went through a few entry level bikes to see what works. April 2018 I bought a Vitus Sommet. I hit up the Don about twice a week last year. It got me out of a serious depression.

This past October, on the last little section of Climbmax at the big drop off, I went OTB and broke my collarbone. Good thing it was at the end of the season. I'm spending this winter recovering and getting stronger.

I also decided to build a second bike to keep me busy. Chromag Aperture. 26" Fox vanilla R 140mm. TBH, anything more than a nice aggressize hardtail is waaay overkill for the Don.

If anyone has any questions about the Don, or is down for a ride, hit me up.

I think full suspension if fully warranted, personally...but I have an old man back lol. But I don't think you need an overly aggressive bike one way or the other - just my opinion of course - but I don't think there is anything overly technical or steep in the Don.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
Well, I made it out to Joyride. I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it, but I had a great time. Even hit the foam pit a few times which I didn't think I would.
Sunday at 4pm the place was pretty busy, but by 7 it was dead. Think we spent about 4 hours there.
photo

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
Well, I made it out to Joyride. I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it, but I had a great time. Even hit the foam pit a few times which I didn't think I would.
Sunday at 4pm the place was pretty busy, but by 7 it was dead. Think we spent about 4 hours there.
photo

Sweet - nice little bike there for it too!. I've gone about 4 or 5 times this year which is a record for me. Now that I can actually start hitting the (slightly) more advanced jumps I'm loving it. Foam pit is hilarious too. If I see that bike I'll say hi!

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 0:59 Quote
The advanced jump line looked pretty awesome. I was debating trying it but there was a group of about 6 guys that were riding it and just killin it, so I didn't want to get in the middle haha. Maybe next time, as I'm sure I'll be back.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
The advanced jump line looked pretty awesome. I was debating trying it but there was a group of about 6 guys that were riding it and just killin it, so I didn't want to get in the middle haha. Maybe next time, as I'm sure I'll be back.

There's always a crowd, I just bust through and ride'em shittely. I'm sure the kids find it hilarious.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
Looking for a little advice on winter in the Don Valley. I have a 27.5 hardtail, fitted with new spiked Schwalbes. But the few times I've gone to the Don, the snow is too deep or too soft, or it's too icy. I can't seem to find ridable conditions. I'll try again today, but.... Can anyone advise me on the best strategy? I mean, what sorts of conditions am I aiming for? Right now, I'm just clueless.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 6:02 Quote
Problem is the don sucks for like 80% of winter. early snows get packed nicely, but inevitably there is a thaw then a re-freeze and it all goes to crap. Plus & fat tires help, but you'll needed heavy studded ones later in the season unless we keep getting snow. I have a winter bike which i think of selling every year cause we get so few useable winter days. December is usually snowless. January and February are 9 weeks of mixed conditions and March is usually a writeoff once the dirt gets exposed.

It's not you, it's the trail.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
JesseE wrote:
...It's not you, it's the trail.
Thanks, Jesse! I actually had a blast yesterday (Feb 16), but that was the first time I was able to actually ride. It also helped to see that there are very, very few bike tracks out there, so... it's not like everyone's been having fun without me. I just wish there was more of a way of hyping the few days when the condition is just right. The FB Don group has gone mostly silent since Dec. Not much doing on RFG or Trailforks either. So I find myself wondering: do I go down there today? Or will it suck again?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016802
Mobile Version of Website