Don Valley Toronto MTB

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
Noremac47 wrote:
Thanks for the info, Jesse. Like you I'm not looking for something XC fast, who gives a crap haha. I might consider experimenting with a 2.4 Maxxis DHR 2 front and 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor rear or something similar.

no problem. Love talking rubber!

The DHR are have always looked like a good rear option, as opposed to the DHF, which seems like a classic front tire and hard to beat.

I always end up coming back to Schwalbe, cause while weight isn't everything, saving weight on the tire/rim is about the only place I can ever feel it, so if I can save half a pound or rolling weight and still get good performance I'll take it. Schwalbe seem to be the lightest proportionately and their more aggro tires work great. If they would just put a friggin sideknob on the Nic and give it the same snakeskin casing as the Dampf, that would be my go-to rear tire. Dampf will do, though.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
DHR2 is a better all year tire for southern Ontario than the DHF. It clears the gross sandy clay mud better in the shoulder seasons in my opinion. High Roller 2 also works well. Both roll slow in the summer however. But they both inspire confidence.

Personally, I quite like the Rekon for summer riding here. I run the 2.6, and have had zero issues with the EXO casing, running at 20-24 psi. If I were living somewhere with more jagged rock feature, or I were a big guy, or had concerns like Jesse, I would opt for the EXO+ casing which sits between EXO and the double down DH casing - but I have yet to slice a casing since moving to Ontario, thankfully. They roll noticably faster than either Minion. Example - when we took our trip to the Yukon, our guide had Minion DHF front, Minion SS back - basically the fastest Minion combo. On a gradual slope smooth double track segment, side by side, I could easily outpace him while I was simply coasting and he was pedaling - he actually commented on, because the difference was quite striking! For a long day in the saddle, that's a whack of additional effort. I also find they have pretty good grip - I'm running 3c current. For shoulder seasons however, or any wet with our southern Ontario dirt - they absolutely suck. Don't even think about it on the DV, you might as well bring a crazy carpet!

I rode the forecaster 2.4 (or 2.3?) Laster year and really liked those. I think the Forecaster 2.6 might be a pretty good all season tire for the DV and systems with similar dirt. The casings aren't super robust (not sure if they come in EXO+ yet), but honestly I find the Don to be easy on tires so for me personally, I wouldn't be worried. The would clear much and clay much better than all the above, and they roll almost equally as fast as the Rekon in my experience.

We are about to change our Rekons this weekend for something that can handle shoulder seasons to come.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 23:05 Quote
Does anyone know how to get to the dirt jumps in the don , just got the new bike and can't wait

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
JoeAV wrote:
Does anyone know how to get to the dirt jumps in the don , just got the new bike and can't wait

Multiple ways in...

Get to the Loblaws on Redway Road. On the south end of the parking lot, there is a steep road going down into the Valley to the Water plant. Park at the little dirt lot at the bottom where the map is. You'll see a little dirt path on the right. A few feet in on your left you'll see another little path crossing the train tracks. Cross them into the forest, go right (west) and you'll see the jumps in ~30 metres.

Alternatively, enter the trail head in the Loblaws parking lot. Take the trail all the way on the right going down. The very first left at the bottom of the switchbacks takes you down a short path to the gravel path. Go down the gravel hill. JUST before the bridge on the left crossing the river you will see a little entrance into the forest (on your left). Follow the dirt path under the bridge and you will stumble upon the jumps. Be safe.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.074970
Mobile Version of Website