Moving to Halifax summer 19

PB Forum :: Canada - Atlantic
Moving to Halifax summer 19
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
We've finally made the decision and have started doing all the paperwork to move to Canada. Depending on my visa (the rest of the family are all Canadians) we're hoping to be in Halifax in July 19.

I don't really understand the riding in Halifax, I know there's some trails up around Bayers Lake (probably closest to where we end up living) and some around Wentworth where one of my friends has a cottage.

Other than that don't know of anything.

Wife's family are all out Hammonds Plains, Tantallon and Hubley so we'll end up living out there, at least initially.

Be great to get some insight on what's out there. Also what's good for kids. I'm selling all the bikes apart from one each (2 down, 8 more to go!) so just be after trail riding.

Hopefully I'll get a bit of riding in during the summer while I find a job.....

Posted: Feb 5, 2019 at 5:46 Quote
KiwiXC wrote:
We've finally made the decision and have started doing all the paperwork to move to Canada. Depending on my visa (the rest of the family are all Canadians) we're hoping to be in Halifax in July 19.

I don't really understand the riding in Halifax, I know there's some trails up around Bayers Lake (probably closest to where we end up living) and some around Wentworth where one of my friends has a cottage.

Other than that don't know of anything.

Wife's family are all out Hammonds Plains, Tantallon and Hubley so we'll end up living out there, at least initially.

Be great to get some insight on what's out there. Also what's good for kids. I'm selling all the bikes apart from one each (2 down, 8 more to go!) so just be after trail riding.

Hopefully I'll get a bit of riding in during the summer while I find a job.....

Wife and I are planning the opposite and looking to move to NZ lol. I went there a few years ago and fell in love with the country.

as for trails, check on trailforks. lots of nice trails in the Halifax area.

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
Want to buy a house??

I find using trailforks a bit challenging for identifying good areas to ride. I like talking to locals.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2019 at 7:31 Quote
Hey, you should pm me this summer and I'll take you on a tour! Halifax has some good trails, very technical XC, whereas Wentworth has the enduro trails. For 2hrs outside of Halifax in Antigonish there is a shuttle access dh park called keppoch mountain which is awesome.

For in the city, fight trail (Macintosh run watershed) is top quality and very unique running on exposed granite and sanctioned by the city for future development. The Bayers lake trails are also a lot of fun (whopper dropper) but less legit and even more old school.

Also in pictou county the Fitzpatric mountain trial system is really nice flowy trail riding.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 13:04 Quote
Thanks, I may take you up on that! Plan is moving along quicker than expected and we're probably coming earlier than expected! Looks I going to have 4 months sitting around unable to work for the whole of summer......

Posted: Mar 26, 2019 at 12:06 Quote
Macintosh Run https://www.trailforks.com/region/mcintosh-run/ is the only legal MTB trail in the HRM area. It's not everyone's cup of tea, it's fairly slow tech stuff but if you've got some skills you can keep some flow going, there's no elevation there so lots of up and down bursts.

Everything else in the city is unsanctioned but there are some fun things around, again not much elevation happening so lots of up and down. The more popular spots are Whopper, and Spider Lake, they are not signed or prticularly mrked in any way so you'll want a tour or use Trailforks to navigate.

If you don't mind driving and hour or so Victoria Park is a good mix, a bit more flow than many places good for kids too. Empire Trails are fairly short but fun. Grey Mountain has got some decent elevation and has a pretty dedicated group building there and has some signage. A bunch of options in the Kentville/Wolfville area that are sanctioned, well maintained and has options for kids, little skills parks, Reservoir Park and the Gorge being the most popular, they are fairly short though.

All these spots are on Trailforks.

Driving further out of the city, Keppoch is a blast, lots of trail for everyone plus shuttle days on the weekends.

A local group here in HRM hosts regular MTB rides around the city they're worth checking out to get a feel for the riding here. http://ecmtb.net/

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
bent6543 wrote:

Cheers, I've joined the ECMTB page and will join a group ride when we get there which will now be the 8th of May.

Plans have change so I'm not bringing a bike with me, we're stopping over in Hawaii, and it'll follow in the container.

I'll convince the wife about the need for a hardtail (just sold my two 26's because apparently it was unreasonable to ship 13 bikes for 5 people!) between now and then and hopefully grab something when we arrive....

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013852
Mobile Version of Website