Upgrade forks etc. or just get new bike ?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Upgrade forks etc. or just get new bike ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 2:18 Quote
Hi, am relatively new to dirt jumping after a 25 year hiatus. Long story short i picked up a bmx (Hoffman Lady Luck), although it is great fun to mess about on, it does feel a little small for my 6 foot, 16 stone (224 lb) bulk am am a bit sheepish riding it due to my bulk (just sigar coating being a fatso, lol). I am also in my 40's if that's of any significance.
Anyway i recently picked up an X-Rated Mesh for £50, just to try a bigger bike and see how it feels. The bike weighs a ton but that does not bother me as i feel so much more confident riding it and it feels bombproof. As i am pretty much a newcomer so my knowledge is quite limited (well, very limited) and i do not have a great deal of money to spend (about £300 - £350 gbp) would it be worth upgrading the forks to shocks on the Mesh as well as getting some other bits like a headset, cranks, handlebars or just use the money to pick up a different second hand bike with front shocks already included, as there are some good buys by the looks of it.
All i will be using it for is to have a play about at the skate park and visit some local dirt jumps/trails, once i re-learn the basic skills and gain enough confidence to actually go and visit these places, as well as shedding a few pounds. Would be great to meet similar aged, like minded people to have some 'riding buddies' as well.

tl;dr - Do i upgrade the Mesh bike (and has anyone done that?) or just look at picking up something with the front shocks etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully offering suggestions/advice).

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
Definitely go for the full bike upgrade. Pick up something second hand from the buy/sell, it will probably serve you better in the long run.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009650
Mobile Version of Website