Need some knowledgable input on a used Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Need some knowledgable input on a used Santa Cruz
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
Hi, first time posting. This was my best guess at the most relevant category to post in so let me know if theres a better place to ask this.

My Cannondale hardtail was stolen, renters insurance is paying me out for it, and i'm looking to upgrade to a full suspension since I recently moved from Houston (flat) to Seattle (not flat).
I would love to be able to buy a brand new full suspension but i simply cant afford to fork out the money for one and i wont go into debt for it.

I'm looking at a used 2016 Santa Cruz Bronson C S, Carbon frame, fox float factory x rear, rockshox pike fork. looks well taken care of, no frame damage, shocks and drivetrain were just serviced at a local shop, he wants $2300

I'm also looking at a Santa Cruz 5010, the frame is a 2018 aluminum (warranty replacement) built with components from a 2015 5010. fox float CTD rear, rockshox sector fork, no dropper post. frame is brand new and has never been ridden. he wants $2000

I'm getting hung up on the Bronson vs 5010 geometry and travel, older carbon frame vs brand new frame, but older components and no dropper post. I figure i might as well have the extra travel of the Bronson when i need it for the trails up here.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm new to full suspension and am not a bike component expert. Obviously theres a lot of things to look out for and triple check when looking at a used bike to make sure i'm getting and honest deal and not a money sink hole.

Thanks,
Michael Z

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in; I haven't ridden the bikes in question, so my advice is based off what I've read online and whatnot, (basically I've researched an absurd amount but haven't ridden those two) but I'll put in my 2 cents and hope it helps. Between those two, if you plan on doing more pedally/light/fun stuff, the 5010, with its slightly steeper HTA and shorter travel, wheelbase, and standover would probably be better. The 5010 is the scaled-down lightweight Bronson. Otherwise, if your choice is between those two bikes I'd personally pick the Bronson. Yes, the frame is a little older, but for only $300 more you get significantly better parts, carbon (if you care), and that 150mm bike likely better suited to our area. The geo is pretty good on that Bronson for what you seem to be looking for... since it was a generation or so before the long/slack craze recently skyrocketed, it should still be good pedal mellow trail bike, and the extra travel will be nice. Keep in mind if you want something slightly more similar to your lost hardtail, the 5010 would be ace, I've heard good things about them too, but personally for a all-round little more heavy duty PNW full squish I'd lean towards that Bronson. If you will get/want a replacement hardtail or similar, or just don't mind little different bike definitely go Bronson and cover all the bases, if you'll only have the one, and want something more "trail bike"y or similar to the previous bike, 5010. Take that for what you will, hope it helps. Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
I have a 2016 5010 and agonized over the Bronson/5010 conundrum you're facing when I got mine. I only rode the 5010 before I bought and it felt great. I'm in the Ozarks in NW Arkansas and 130mm travel is perfect for here. I've had loads of fun on mine. It climbs great. Even better if you push the seat all the way forward.

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 22:23 Quote
Bronson C is a much better spec bike. 5010 is definitely fun and is one of my favorites, but Santa Cruz’s alloy (based on my memory of when I owned one) are heavy.

When buying 2nd hand used bikes I almost always look at the seller more than the bike. Do they take the time to post tons of pics or 2-3 “far away” pictures with a 2-sentence description?

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
See my response on Vital lol

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008433
Mobile Version of Website