Hey team, a few weeks ago I purchased this 2009 Turner 5 spot used of a local auction site. After over 10 years on 4x hardtails and at 40 years old I have decided to move to a more forgiving and flexable bike. The last rear suspension bike I used was a late 90's pre disc monocoque 4 bar linkage bike..
I have ridden A LOT of bikes but this is pretty amazing, It has literly blown my mind, and as old as it is It has re ignited my love for suspended bikes, My background is Skateboarding and Dirt Jumping etc...So subsequently I know what I dont want,and I dont like big wheels and slack angles,So you can keep them, I know what i want.
This bike took a lot of work, the shock was blown, and needed brakes and a few bits and bobs, but the only thing that really cost me so far to get It ridable (Im a hoarder/trader of quality parts) was a bottle of tyre sealant and a 20 Kiwi dollars rear shock. So moving foward last week I have stipped it down and throughly cleaned all the rear Piviots etc then re-lubed with sram butter for now. The (common?) creaking the bike had..... has dropped to a very mild and light groan only under steep climbs and hard pedaling, It hardly ugly but I would like to get that sorted, All pivots and shafts look good with no Obvious signs of wear with exception of the DW link that has wear on the inside faces So I see see turner has a revised one peice linkage kit on their website, overall the rear end feels tight and has no signs of play I can detect. The Only part that worrys me is a barlely visable, straight and small hairline crack about 3mm on the right side of the seat post, It has gone through and stopped at 3 of the 10 welding beads but could have been there for years I just dont know, All I can do Is ride it or part the bike out and make a little money....but for now I will go with the first option,
First Question....Our Kiwi dollar is a bit weak atm, Before I buy a rebuild Kit (at half the cost of what the bike owes me), Is buying from Turner the best thing for me, or does somone have a unused kit at home I could buy at a reduced rate?, maybe even a unused one piece likage would be cool....... If you dont ask you dont get it.