SANTA CRUZ RESERVE 27 CARBON Rims

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
SANTA CRUZ RESERVE 27 CARBON Rims
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 11, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
Quick question (I hope!) what’s the widest tires you can run on a SANTA CRUZ RESERVE 27 CARBON rim? I know the reserve 30’s can run 2.6” but unless I am missing something nowhere states any tire widths

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 20:22 Quote
According to SC website:

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/reserve-wheels

27mm: 2.0-2.5"
30mm: 2.3-2.6"
37mm: 2.5-3.0"

Although an article on the SC site says the 37mm supports 2.4-3.0":

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/news/thoughts-plus-wheels-tire-widths

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 2:43 Quote
crispybike wrote:
According to SC website:

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/reserve-wheels

27mm: 2.0-2.5"
30mm: 2.3-2.6"
37mm: 2.5-3.0"

Although an article on the SC site says the 37mm supports 2.4-3.0":

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/news/thoughts-plus-wheels-tire-widths

Nice one thank you very much!

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
Do you know how much weight you save by going to the carbon wheels from the standard ones on the sc setup

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
Southerncruz wrote:
Do you know how much weight you save by going to the carbon wheels from the standard ones on the sc setup
Well, that depends on a few things, but in general I'd say not much savings. You really need to look at just at the rim weights to get an apples to apples comparison. For example, the 30mm is 470g. Compare that to the 30mm Race Face ARC Offset you can get on Bronson X01 builds, which is 493g. If you pick the same spokes, hubs, and nipples, you've only saved 23g per wheel.

Now if you look at the wheelset you get with cheaper SC kits, you can see a much better net weight reductions. For example a Bronson R has 370 hubs (I believe the 350 hubs you get with the carbon wheelsets are a bit lighter), RF AR Offset wheels (545g, which is 75g heavier), I believe heavier spokes with the R kit, and because it's a weaker rim, 32 spokes instead of 28 (about another 28g per wheel). But in this case you are getting a lot more than just better rims with the carbon reserves. You are upgrading from a cheaper aluminum rim (not one of the better ones), getting lighter spokes, and a better hub. So you are getting a wheelset that is a lot better not even considering that it is lighter, but also quite a bit lighter at the same time.

What gets me is that if you buy the carbon wheelset with the bike, it's $1200 more no matter which kit you are getting. Probably a good deal with the R kit, but not with the X01 or X11 kit which come with much better wheelsets. For the later, I'd order the wheelset separately and keep the wheelset you get with the bike as a spare or sell it on ebay. Most bike shops offer 10-15% off on any extras you order with a bike, including a set of SC carbon reserve wheels. I know the 3 shops I spoke with all offered this.

Go with carbon if you want carbon for the feel (which not everyone likes) and the strength. I wouldn't do it for the weight reduction. If you want a lighter wheel then there are much cheaper ways to get there. I'm having a wheelset built right now that is spec'd similarly to the carbon reserve 30mm, but with DT Swiss XM 481 aluminum rims, 32 spokes instead of 28, and brass nipples (the latter two both add weight over the carbon reserves). It will cost $675, and by my calculations will weigh only about 20g more than the stated weight of the 30mm carbon reserve wheelset. Even if it's 100g, that wouldn't put a dent in any weight concerns I may have.

BTW, I'll add that carbon reserve 37mm seems to offer a much better weight reduction over similarly sized aluminum rims than the 30mm does. In fact it claims to be only 450g, 20g lighter than the 30mm. Seems odd, but that's what's on the SC website. Compare this to the 530g RF 35mm AR Offset. That's an 80g per rim savings. So if you are thinking of going with a SC 27.5+, there's a bit more of an argument for going with the carbon reserves for the weight savings.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009623
Mobile Version of Website