Bike Buying Questions (Mountain vs Gravel)

PB Forum :: Beginners
Bike Buying Questions (Mountain vs Gravel)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 19, 2019 at 4:56 Quote
Hello,

I live in the Murrieta/Temecula Valley area of Southern California and was looking at Mountain Biking for exercise and fun (also a way to get out of the house without kids). My brother was a road rider and lives in S.F. and he just bought a Gravel Bike. When I told him I was looking into getting a Mountain Bike he said I should look into a Gravel Bike instead. But, I'm unsure it would be what I'm looking for. As far as I can tell, G.B.'s are a hybrid M.B./R.B. and according to my brother they're great for fire roads, trail riding, etc. Which is what I was thinking of doing. Any recommendations or insights?

My initial intent of riding is for exercise. I'm not planning on riding super hard, no jumping, no rocks. I just feel like riding a trail would be far more entertaining of a ride than hitting the road in my spandex where I'd be dodging idiot drivers on every ride.

Thanks,
para

**PS: Forgive me, It's early and I just saw the post about where to ask questions like this and it doesn't look like I can delete this post**

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 20:49 Quote
I agree with your GB assessment... As a MTBr, GBing to me is an off trail alternative when the weather has degraded trail conditions. Alot depends on what you expect from the bike. I’ve known someone who rode rooty flow trails with an old steel road bike on skinny tires and didn’t miss a beat. But my ‘93 Trek rigid MTB has never been fun to me in the rough, I only use it now on the flat creek and gravel paths. An option you have is to get a light XC bike, 100mm suspension fork, and a couple tire sets to serve different terrain... narrow tire set for gravel and pavement, wider set for XC trail riding. That way the bike and XC tires provide grip and handle the abuse on the rooty single track and the narrow gravel tires reduce rolling resistance on gravel paths/roads and you won’t wear out your trail tires.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
I appreciate the response. As I’m just wanting to get into the hobby at 35, I don’t suspect I’ll ever have any desire for downhill biking, jumping, etc. Just scenic fun rides to get help keep the blood flowing, get away from the kids for a bit, and keep the beer gut down.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007719
Mobile Version of Website