New Generation Shimano brake levers I spec EV backwards compatible?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
New Generation Shimano brake levers I spec EV backwards compatible?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 7:21 Quote
Does anyone know if the new I Spec EV brake levers are compatible with either I spec B or I spec II shifters? I like the new levers with the central clamp and bar brace, they seem to make perfect sense. However I want to stick with XT M8000 11 spd shifters. Looking at photos it looks like the new shifters have a modified I spec II type arrangement, the raised slot, but the levers have the old I spec B type bands?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 11:23 Quote
AFAIK they aren't compatible.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
Wolftooth makes adapters.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
joe24881 wrote:
Wolftooth makes adapters.

Great news. Surprised shimano hasn't kept them compatible or at least made compatible versions like M8000 that has either B or II versions.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
Just had a look at wolf tooth, it looks like their adapters allow 12sp shifters to be used with either ispec b or ispec ii brakes rather than ispec Ev brakes with the older shifters

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
Ok so received new SLX levers today & happy to report no adapters needed I Spec 2 shifters bolt straight up to the new I Spec EV brakes. The only modification required is a slightly shorter bolt to attach the shifter than is supplied with I spec 2 shifters.

photo

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
Just to update standard shimano brake rotor bolts plus the washer from the old I spec 2 bolt works out the perfect length for bolting up the shifter.

So I'm now running the newest SLX I spec EV levers with Zee hoses, Zee calipers & XT I spec 2 shifters. The brakes are now the best brake I have ever tried bar none, amazing feel at the lever absolutely no flex, no softness, no clicking levers, no changing bite point and powerful as ever, very happy even sold the old Zee levers for £40 so the change cost me £28 for the pair of SLX levers all said and done.

O+
Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
Great stuff. So if I bought some new brakes with the EV interface. My spec 2 shifter would work?

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
Ok so received new SLX levers today & happy to report no adapters needed I Spec 2 shifters bolt straight up to the new I Spec EV brakes. The only modification required is a slightly shorter bolt to attach the shifter than is supplied with I spec 2 shifters.

photo

Has this worked for you long term? I did the mod and find my brake lever wobbles...

Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 6:04 Quote
Any news about adapters between I-Spec EV & I-Spec B ?
ProblemSolvers and WolfTooth are keeping silence 'bout it. (

Brake lever (Saint M820) - I-Spec B
Shifter - I-Spec EV

Posted: Apr 27, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
bikeguye wrote:
StevieJB wrote:

photo

Has this worked for you long term? I did the mod and find my brake lever wobbles...

Fine no wobbles here, you did use a short bolt like a rotor bolt? If you use the old bolt it’s too long and would either dig into your bars or prevent you clamping down the levers on the bars.

Posted: May 5, 2020 at 5:01 Quote
StevieJB wrote:

photo

StevieJB I arrived at the same solution, including shorter bolt and washer, before reading this thread and after trying a range of other whacky, ineffective ways of attaching spec 2 shifter to spec ev brake...a lot of cursing shimano...cursing in general...pleading phone calls to local shop techs...and scouring wolftooth’s and problem solvers’ respective websites. I found that this solution works and that neither wolftooth nor problem solvers (nor any Chinese version on amazon/ebay) makes a shift mount to attach spec ev brakes to spec 2 shifter. Vice versa, yes. But not older shifter to newer brake. Why not? Perhaps because it is not necessary... given that it’s technically possible to attach the two without an adapter. Glad to find I wasn’t alone in trying this attachment solution.

As for the durability, functionality of this method I will find out today as I have not ridden yet with the new brake. I’ll let you know how sturdy everything feels after riding today.

Posted: May 9, 2020 at 20:38 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Any news about adapters between I-Spec EV & I-Spec B ?
ProblemSolvers and WolfTooth are keeping silence 'bout it. (

Brake lever (Saint M820) - I-Spec B
Shifter - I-Spec EV

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Wolf-Tooth-Components/ShiftMount-Shimano-I-Spec-EV-Shifter-Adapter-p74383/

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 16:25 Quote
Scout86 wrote:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Wolf-Tooth-Components/ShiftMount-Shimano-I-Spec-EV-Shifter-Adapter-p74383/

That’s not what we’re looking for as previously mentioned. EV brakes to II shifters is the problem. That part does the opposite.

Posted: May 14, 2020 at 22:00 Quote
SWBogie wrote:
Scout86 wrote:

That’s not what we’re looking for as previously mentioned. EV brakes to II shifters is the problem. That part does the opposite.
Read carefully whom he was quoting...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013199
Mobile Version of Website