Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
O+
Posted: May 7, 2021 at 6:04 Quote
estinehart wrote:
Has anyone put a 203mm rotor on the back? Was it worth it? Is it even possible?

Yes I'm running a 203 out back. Barely clears the frame

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
Ok, part 2 of the question... I'm seeing mixed results on Google about whether or not the Deore brakes can accept metallic pads. I'd like to increase my rear brake grab by either jumping up on rotor size or switching to metallic pads or both. Is it the rotor that needs to be metallic capable or the caliper? The better I get the harder I ride the more I need that grab to save my ass...

O+
Posted: May 7, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
estinehart wrote:
Ok, part 2 of the question... I'm seeing mixed results on Google about whether or not the Deore brakes can accept metallic pads. I'd like to increase my rear brake grab by either jumping up on rotor size or switching to metallic pads or both. Is it the rotor that needs to be metallic capable or the caliper? The better I get the harder I ride the more I need that grab to save my ass...

The rotor needs to be compatible. Shimano rotors that aren't compatible with metal pads say right on the rotor "Organic Pads Only". You could also check the part number of the rotor online, to double check, but the rotors should say right on them if they're not compatible. If they are compatible, they don't say one way or the other.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 7:32 Quote
mammal wrote:
estinehart wrote:

The rotor needs to be compatible. Shimano rotors that aren't compatible with metal pads say right on the rotor "Organic Pads Only". You could also check the part number of the rotor online, to double check, but the rotors should say right on them if they're not compatible. If they are compatible, they don't say one way or the other.

Sweet. I'm headed out to look now. Thanks.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
Odonohoe wrote:
I’m waiting on an AF with an original delivery date of late March. Shop said they ordered a full run of them back in August. Spoke with the shop today and they said some have started to trickle in, only larges so far but they are expecting more of the order soon.

Just an update for those who are waiting and estimating delivery.

Good deal, that's encouraging. I ordered through my shop in August and had a March date. XL frame. Been pushed back monthly since. Fingers crossed for May. Not sure what spec I'll get with the recent changes since I added the factory 36 and Bike Yoke on a Deore build, which isn't an option now.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
RedXJ97 wrote:
Odonohoe wrote:
I’m waiting on an AF with an original delivery date of late March. Shop said they ordered a full run of them back in August. Spoke with the shop today and they said some have started to trickle in, only larges so far but they are expecting more of the order soon.

Good deal, that's encouraging. I ordered through my shop in August and had a March date. XL frame. Been pushed back monthly since. Fingers crossed for May. Not sure what spec I'll get with the recent changes since I added the factory 36 and Bike Yoke on a Deore build, which isn't an option now.

So I reserved my bike back in December, not sure when the shop ordered it but said my XL was due in March. As of last week the shop said that Ibis invoiced for some bikes but at the time they didn't know which ones yet. I have yet to hear back from the shop since then, I'm guessing that my bike isn't going to be showing up soon though.

I would think that since the suspension & dropper were upcharges, you'll still get those (or at least not get charged for them). I think the rest of the spec (tires, stem length, cranks length, etc.) are going to be a just whatever they have in stock.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
RedXJ97 wrote:
Odonohoe wrote:

So I reserved my bike back in December, not sure when the shop ordered it but said my XL was due in March. As of last week the shop said that Ibis invoiced for some bikes but at the time they didn't know which ones yet. I have yet to hear back from the shop since then, I'm guessing that my bike isn't going to be showing up soon though.

I would think that since the suspension & dropper were upcharges, you'll still get those (or at least not get charged for them). I think the rest of the spec (tires, stem length, cranks length, etc.) are going to be a just whatever they have in stock.

Whatever they have in stock is right, that’s what my bike came with that I got back in October.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
estinehart wrote:

I went with 203 ice tech rotors front and rear with Shimano H03C metal finned pads way better grab!

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 23:00 Quote
estinehart wrote:

I thought the deore brakes came with metallic pads? At least thats what mine came with.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
domdb wrote:
estinehart wrote:

I thought the deore brakes came with metallic pads? At least thats what mine came with.

If the rotor says “organic pads only” stamped on it the. It’s meant for organic pads. I’ve tried metallic pads on a rotor like that and it works but it may warp if you do too much hard breaking.

It will definitely wear the rotor down fast too

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 8:28 Quote
Linkeds2 wrote:
domdb wrote:
estinehart wrote:

If the rotor says “organic pads only” stamped on it the. It’s meant for organic pads. I’ve tried metallic pads on a rotor like that and it works but it may warp if you do too much hard breaking.

Luckily mine do not say that. I’m not sure how to identify metallic pads though.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
estinehart wrote:
Luckily mine do not say that. I’m not sure how to identify metallic pads though.
Metallic pads are usually a bit more shiney have little bits of metal mixed into the compound. Organic pads have more of a homogeneous looking compound. Not sure how to better describe it.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 11:05 Quote
estinehart wrote:
Linkeds2 wrote:
domdb wrote:

If you take the pads out, on the back on the copper part, it should say metal.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
mammal wrote:
estinehart wrote:
Metallic pads are usually a bit more shiney have little bits of metal mixed into the compound. Organic pads have more of a homogeneous looking compound. Not sure how to better describe it.

I think these are what came on my deore brakes. They look much darker now though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fblueskycycling.com%2Fproducts%2Fshimano-saint-zee-m810-d02s-metallic-disc-brake-pads&psig=AOvVaw2gOlcnCzx5VXMxQpOiWWLt&ust=1620670013751000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIjRnLaYvfACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 16:23 Quote
Can I use the finned brake pads on a deore 4 piston brakes on my Ripmo AF? I just bought some RT86 rotors I'm going to put on there and looking to upgrade the pads too. If I can't use finned ones, what do you guys recommend? The Shimano D02S? Or another brand of pad?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012718
Mobile Version of Website