Advise needed => 29" carbon wheel set for XC races and training rides

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Advise needed => 29" carbon wheel set for XC races and training rides
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 18:32 Quote
Hey folks,

I need some ideas for a new carbon wheel set. My current bike is a 2019 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup. Wheels are DT X1675 (29", Boost, 28h, Syncros hubs, rear hub comes with DT Swiss internals/ratchets, rim inner width is 25mm, total weight is 1699g incl. rim tape).

My main goal is to save weight and increase stiffness compared to the stock wheels. Maximum tire size is 2.25/2.30. I'm a big guy (6'4"/223lbs).

New wheels are for local xc-races as well as training rides. Our trails are dry and kind of rocky (Southwest Texas). Stock wheels go to my buddies ride.

Any advise is highly appreciated!!!

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
Lightbicycle or carbonfan of China, had good experience with both
Kes

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 8:31 Quote
fxrextreme wrote:
Lightbicycle or carbonfan of China, had good experience with both
Kes

Thanks! Will have a look into these companies.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
If you're looking at a prebuilt wheel, I'm a big fan of Race Face Next SLs - they're fairly inexpensive for a name-brand wheel, and for a big guy like you a 2 year no-fault guarantee and that it's an "xc" wheel with 28 spokes, that'll hopefully be some piece of mind, and still sub-1600g.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
If you're looking at a prebuilt wheel, I'm a big fan of Race Face Next SLs - they're fairly inexpensive for a name-brand wheel, and for a big guy like you a 2 year no-fault guarantee and that it's an "xc" wheel with 28 spokes, that'll hopefully be some piece of mind, and still sub-1600g.

Nice! Thanks for the hint. Not super lightweight but still very interesting.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
john081 wrote:
seanondemand wrote:

Nice! Thanks for the hint. Not super lightweight but still very interesting.
I've put a lot of bigger guys on bikes and wheels and the unfortunate truth is that you'll need to find a balance - there are definitely lighter wheels, but I wouldn't sell them to a guy your weight because I know he's coming back with, at the very least, busted spokes after his first few rides, or worse. Something in the mid 1500g range is a reasonable level, and then if you want to stress over 200g on each end, you can wreck a few lightweight tires every season instead of some really expensive wheels.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 17:59 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
I've put a lot of bigger guys on bikes and wheels and the unfortunate truth is that you'll need to find a balance - there are definitely lighter wheels, but I wouldn't sell them to a guy your weight because I know he's coming back with, at the very least, busted spokes after his first few rides, or worse. Something in the mid 1500g range is a reasonable level, and then if you want to stress over 200g on each end, you can wreck a few lightweight tires every season instead of some really expensive wheels.

I agree. Riders with my weight shouldn't shave the last few grams. Especially not on a wheel set. Luckily I've never had any issue with wheels. Maybe because I focused on the "balance" you're talking about.

This time it's bit more complicated. My mind tells me "go the safe route" (what would be some 1500-1600g wheels). My heart says "take a risk and go as light as possible".... :-)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011807
Mobile Version of Website