Marin Hawk Hill

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Marin Hawk Hill
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 16:04 Quote
Does anyone have any ride reports (experience) with the Marin Hawk Hill.
Preferably the model 3.
Looking at picking up a 2020 when they come out.

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
I owned a 2017 hawk hill 1. It was a great bike. I didn’t really appreciate it until I had much more expensive bikes afterwards. Once I road the nicer bikes I realized that the hawk hill compared well with them. It’s a good platform to upgrade over time.

That being said I would look at the new 2020 rift zone over the hawk hill. The geo is completely up to date with modern bikes and should be a real shredder.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 16:08 Quote
I had the 2019 Hawk Hill 3 last season and it was an amazing bike, lots of fun, I added the largest spacer to the rear shock and bumped the front fork to 140mm. With some bigger Maxxis tires on there too the bike came alive. It climbed well and was so much fun descending, really playful. The new rift zone looks to have killer geometries too and seems to be a budget Norco Optic which is another awesome bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 19:46 Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
We pulled the trigger on a 2020 Hawk Hill 3.
Here is some initial feedback:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/mtnbikermitch/blog/2020-marin-hawk-3.html

Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 11:41 Quote
I've got a 2017 hawkhill and it's been a riot. Pretty much went all out on the build(except for drivetrain) and worth every penny. It's been hard to find a new bike that is just as playful since the hawkhill set the standard pretty high. I have my hawkhill currently setup as 130/120, but i have tried 150 as well. the bike does feel a bit awkward at that point (dropped it down to 130 again) as the bike felt way playful again.

as for a ride report, the 2017 hawkhill's had a 67.5 HTA (67 currently on my bike with the 130mm fork now) and it is very playful, gets kinda squirly at 25mph+ but as expected since its still a short travel trail bike(2019's felt kinda the same, just slacker geo). I use mine for my DH runs on the days i want to have fun over going as fast as possible and it stacks up against my friends all mountain/ enduro bikes pretty well. I will say tho, issues i've run across is the cable routing for the rear shifter cable, where it comes out of the bb area, is horrible. (not sure if they fixed it yet)

I sold marin's when I worked at performance bike and if you've got any other questions(also demo'd quite a few), feel free to ask Smile

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
Any recent updates or reviews on this? The 3 is on my list, as I’m leaning towards a 27.5 setup.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
My wife is still super pumped on her bike. Its been about 3 months of solid riding with at least a ride every week. So far everything has been really awesome other than the Sunrace cassette as mentioned in the blog post above. It likes to drop the chain when back pedaled in the easy gears.

-Mitchell

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
Jayhawkeye3 wrote:
Any recent updates or reviews on this? The 3 is on my list, as I’m leaning towards a 27.5 setup.

Its a fun bike for sure, I rerouted the rear shifter cable as the frame was pulling the shifter cable into the bike on every rear linkage compression and it was clacking on the frame. As far as i know, the Hawkhill's run on the larger size, and since you're getting the 3, you are getting a better spec, this bike should have come with a piggyback shock setup, it really needs it, the short travel has no effect on how capable the bike is, I took my hawkhill to Windrock bike park in march and it faired incredibly well. Super capable.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 13:57 Quote
I just got one (Hawk Hill 2) last weekend and the shop didn't set it up correctly (chain falling off from shifting.) Trying to adjust it, noticed rear barrel adjuster is missing. The shop says that's no longer a thing... is this true? If anybody with Hawk hill 2 (sram derailleur) could check on this for me, would be really appreciated!

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 11:56 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Jayhawkeye3 wrote:

Its a fun bike for sure, I rerouted the rear shifter cable as the frame was pulling the shifter cable into the bike on every rear linkage compression and it was clacking on the frame. As far as i know, the Hawkhill's run on the larger size, and since you're getting the 3, you are getting a better spec, this bike should have come with a piggyback shock setup, it really needs it, the short travel has no effect on how capable the bike is, I took my hawkhill to Windrock bike park in march and it faired incredibly well. Super capable.

How did you reroute the shift cable housing because I have this exact problem on my '19 Hawk Hill 3. Whenever the suspension compresses, the bit of housing on the derailleur gets pulled and it eventually destroyed the ferrule on the derailleur. Also, the chain hits into the bit of housing underneath the bb area. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 16:06 Quote
p3kwode wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Jayhawkeye3 wrote:

How did you reroute the shift cable housing because I have this exact problem on my '19 Hawk Hill 3. Whenever the suspension compresses, the bit of housing on the derailleur gets pulled and it eventually destroyed the ferrule on the derailleur. Also, the chain hits into the bit of housing underneath the bb area. Any help would be appreciated!

yeah, its an annoying problem for sure. I yanked out the shifter cable, and plugged the holes with the marin frame grommets from their website. I ran the shifter cable the same rout as the rear brake hose, and electrical tape wrapped it, right at the bottom shock mounting point is(near the bb) is crossed the shifter cable over, the cable then went over the bb shell, and the cable goes over the top of the chainstay, then i used an innertube and wrapped it over the chainstay and cable. I put in a pic. the lizard skin's (chainstay protector is just to defend against my heel rub, the wrapped innertube is still underneath it) This setup no longer pulls the cable through the frame when the bike compresses, and pretty much makes the bike 100% silent now.
photo

Posted: Aug 20, 2020 at 21:10 Quote
Pretty neat solution man! I redid the shift housing a little differently but it still works with no tugging. I plugged the grommet holes and routed the cable towards the brake line but crossed it over to the driveside immediately to ziptie it to my bottle cage. From there, the cable goes from the downtube up to the top of the seatstay and to the derailleur. I used a bit of mastic tape on the seatstay to prevent scuffs and 3d printed a small cable guide right at the derailleur to guide it straight. My cable routing kinda looks like the routing on a Niner bike which is kinda cool too. Stoked to go for a ride now that it's silent!

Routing on Brake line

New and Improved cable routing

Posted: Aug 20, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
prairiedogsrcute wrote:
I just got one (Hawk Hill 2) last weekend and the shop didn't set it up correctly (chain falling off from shifting.) Trying to adjust it, noticed rear barrel adjuster is missing. The shop says that's no longer a thing... is this true? If anybody with Hawk hill 2 (sram derailleur) could check on this for me, would be really appreciated!

Most modern day mtb groupsets use one barrel adjuster at the shifter since it's easier to adjust on the fly. The sram sx eagle shifter's adjuster is inline with the housing ferrule connected to it.

photo

Posted: Aug 20, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
p3kwode wrote:
Pretty neat solution man! I redid the shift housing a little differently but it still works with no tugging. I plugged the grommet holes and routed the cable towards the brake line but crossed it over to the driveside immediately to ziptie it to my bottle cage. From there, the cable goes from the downtube up to the top of the seatstay and to the derailleur. I used a bit of mastic tape on the seatstay to prevent scuffs and 3d printed a small cable guide right at the derailleur to guide it straight. My cable routing kinda looks like the routing on a Niner bike which is kinda cool too. Stoked to go for a ride now that it's silent!

Routing on Brake line

totally get ya! Loud bikes are something i cannot tolerate. Id rather not ride if it has to be on a noisy bike. Nice routing regardless! I wrapped most of my cables to get that "one cable look"

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024871
Mobile Version of Website