Certified bank check scam?

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Certified bank check scam?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
Hello,
I was recently contacted about a bike that I have for sale. First the guy contacted me by text asking me to e-mail him my selling price. Weird. It's in the ad, duh. I e-mailed him and then received this very fishy reply:

bigquotesHello,

Thank you for your response . Sorry for the delayed response. I am
satisfied with the asking price. I am willing to make a payment to
purchase it . The payment will be made out in a certified bank check,
when you receive the check you would have to have it cashed at your
bank and when the money has reflected in your account. my shipper will
then arrange to come and collect the goods from you . could you kindly
provide me with the following information so the payment can be sent out.

Full Name:. Full Address:. Cell Mobile Number:.

Thank you so much look forward to doing business with you.
Kind regards

It seems like a totally generic e-mail scam. I'm not gonna go ahead with the transaction (I replied "cash only") but I'm still curious what you guys think. How would the rest of the transaction go down? I'm pretty sure that the check would eventually bounce and be similar to the scam described here:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/09/anatomy-fake-check-scam
But he claims that it would be a certified bank check. Wouldn't that be safer? How could he still pull off the scam?

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 20:35 Quote
They send the check and have a shipping service pickup before it bounces.

Just send them the address for your local police station. Tell em your name is Johnny Law

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 23:23 Quote
eshew wrote:
They send the check and have a shipping service pickup before it bounces.

Just send them the address for your local police station. Tell em your name is Johnny Law

^^^^^ This. It's a really old scam.

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 19:11 Quote
I just received this txt. Look familiar Smile

Thanks for your response,am okay with the price and condition,i will like you to remove the post as am sure buying from you,i will issue a certified bank check to you and once you get the check and clears your bank,i will engage the service of a shipper for pickup at your address,get back to me with your info to mail out check,i will need this info such as

Full Name :
Address or P.O Box:
City :
State and Zip Code:

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 19:14 Quote
I've had decent luck looking up the phone #'s on this website and emailing the carrier. They're pretty good at shutting down the scammers.

https://phonecarriercheck.com/

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
I recently got the same type of text and the shipping amount is way more than what the bike is worth. I’m going to ignore contact

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
M10rod wrote:
I recently got the same type of text and the shipping amount is way more than what the bike is worth. I’m going to ignore contact

Smart decision. PayPal Goods or Services or nothing. Yes, this scam has been around a very, very long time.

I accepted a check years ago and tore it up. Shipping guy showed up a few days later. I said "No, I did not receive a check." Shipping guy looked dumfounded, turned away and left. I wouldn't do this today, but it felt alright to scam the scammers back then just to waste their time.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scammer+payback

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
I just received one of these through text message. I’m glad I read this.

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 10:42 Quote
I have had two texted purchase offers over the last month for the same bike. They state the purchase price seems reasonable and providing my name and address will result in a certified check for payment. Once the check is received by me, the purchaser would followup with the details for collecting the bike. The first offer sent a check by USPS. The "certified" check was drawn on a legitimate business bank account, but when my bank asked for whether there were any "alerts" on the account, the bank on which the check was drawn was flagged for fraudulent activity. Had I deposited the check at the bank, or electronically; not only would the check have bounced, but my account would have been locked up for at least 10 days for fraud investigation. Please, if you get a "certified" check offer, and receive a check, take the check to be investigated either by your institution or by the bank on which the check is drawn. This may save you financial headache, and continuation of the scam. In my case, both banks stated Cashier's Check would be honored as legitimate payment; has anyone found otherwise?

Safe riding to all!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011104
Mobile Version of Website