Who makes the best carbon MTB frames?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Who makes the best carbon MTB frames?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
The title sums it up. I'm looking for what people say is a good and reliable carbon frame that you can use for years without worrying about it failing.

I've been riding aluminum for ages since bad experiences with carbon frames and parts in the late 90s. After years of people going on and on about how much better carbon is, I ended up with a carbon frame this year that lasted 5 months of riding before needing a warranty replacement...and I don't know if I just had a bad bike, bad luck, or my initial thought was right and that carbon just isn't as durable.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:01 Quote
Hard question to answer, you will get mostly opinions here. Santa Cruz does have an incredibly good reputation when it comes to their frame quality, and I'm a believer.
That's just like, my opinion though, man.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Hard question to answer, you will get mostly opinions here. Santa Cruz does have an incredibly good reputation when it comes to their frame quality, and I'm a believer.
That's just like, my opinion though, man.

Opinions would be fine if they're based on personal experience. I've always been hard on bike parts and am good at breaking things. I've been failed by my not-obscure-maker carbon frame(based in Santa Cruz) once already and I'm trying to determine if carbon just isn't for me or if I had bad luck on that one.

I never buy things based on weight alone because my history shows that buying light = gonna break.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:21 Quote
Most carbon frames are made in Taiwan with very good quality. I bet my Rocky Mountain Element aluminum frame welded in Canada in 1999 out lasts my Altitude carbon frame made in Taiwan. So far, no issues with either one. I would say the best carbon frame is the one with a lifetime warranty, but that doesn’t exist that I know of.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
I've personally seen 135mm Hightower's sent off 40 foot road gaps and heavy bike park use and continued to be thrashed for years and was sold to someone who is still enjoying/thrashing it. 5010's and Tallboys abused on things for years without issue that would be hard riding for Megatowers, Nomad or even v10s. On the flip side I've seen some other bigger travel, big name get stress cracks in pivot locations where durability should be at it's best.

Was it Santa Cruz itself that failed you? Cannondale?

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:

I'd guess ibis

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
I've personally seen 135mm Hightower's sent off 40 foot road gaps and heavy bike park use and continued to be thrashed for years and was sold to someone who is still enjoying/thrashing it. 5010's and Tallboys abused on things for years without issue that would be hard riding for Megatowers, Nomad or even v10s. On the flip side I've seen some other bigger travel, big name get stress cracks in pivot locations where durability should be at it's best.

Were the riders on the SC bikes heavier riders or light riders? It seems like lighter riders never have issues with carbon frames. I weigh 210 and I like going fast. Parts have a hard time with that.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
Explodo wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Were the riders on the SC bikes heavier riders or light riders? It seems like lighter riders never have issues with carbon frames. I weigh 210 and I like going fast. Parts have a hard time with that.

The fellow on the hightower was about 190 lbs IIRC. Guy on the tall boy was a lightweight (same weight as me at about 145 lbs) guy on the 5010..not sure but I'd guess at least 200 lbs. All strong and aggressive riders.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Explodo wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

The fellow on the hightower was about 190 lbs IIRC. Guy on the tall boy was a lightweight (same weight as me at about 145 lbs) guy on the 5010..not sure but I'd guess at least 200 lbs. All strong and aggressive riders.

Hmmm....frames are expensive enough that gambling on them to see if they break is somewhat annoying. I have 6 years of warranty left and a spare bike to ride when the main bike is down, so I have time to think about it. I looked at SC heavily last time around, but if I continue having frame trouble I'll be scared away from carbon again I think.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
Look into Gorilla Gravity. They make their carbon frames inhouse and have good impact tests.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
Cerberus75 wrote:
Look into Gorilla Gravity. They make their carbon frames inhouse and have good impact tests.

They're also local to me. I'll have to see if I can find a demo sometime.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:23 Quote
The high end Cannondale and GT (both owned by Dorel Industries) and Specialized would be up there, not necessarily equivalent to Santa Cruz but in a similar tier I guess.

IMO Giant makes quality stuff and it's pretty high up there (they also own their own factory so have that vertical integration on lock) but I don't think are the top of the top when it comes to carbon but they do a lot of things very well.

Just for funsies even though that wasn't part of the original question on the road side; I'd say Cervelo, Ridley, Pinarello, Trek (Madone, Domane, SpeedConcept), and Specialized (Venge, Roubaix, Shiv)

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 7:58 Quote
Cerberus75 wrote:

Guerilla gravity

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
SunWasBlue wrote:
Cerberus75 wrote:

Guerilla gravity

Whilst perusing their website the other day, I note that Cerberus75 would be precluded from working at Guerilla Gravity as spelling their name properly is a requirement for employment....and that requirement amused me.

The full suspension frame change might fall behind my hardtail frame change now that I've seen the Nordest Bardino Ti. $1500 for a Ti frame to my door that's designed around the 160mm fork I'm already using on my hardtail and takes my 27.5 x 3.0 tires? Hell yes. That sounds fun.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 3:28 Quote
I can speak from experience with Specialized and Santa Cruz. I am 210-215 and ride tech, single track and bike park on the East coast. I had the following: 2016 Camber carbon, 2017 SJ carbon, 2018 SC 5010v3 carbon, 2019 and a 2019 SJ carbon. All were ridden hard and abused and maintained. All were well built and crack free. Very strong and durable frames from those two makers.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010916
Mobile Version of Website