2016 Spartan with angleset: anyone?

PB Forum :: Devinci
2016 Spartan with angleset: anyone?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 3:07 Quote
i would like to know experiences and difference....

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
I am not quite sure on what exactly you want to know but here is a bit of information for you.

On my 2017 Spartan I have a 1.5 degree works headset installed that drops the stock headangle of 65.8 in the low setting or 66.4 in the hi to the obvious 1.5 degrees less for each. But that is not all, it also changes other this slightly as it lowers the front end. So the bottom bracket will sit slightly lower, the seat tube will also be slightly steeper (better for climbing) and the reach was also ever so slightly decreased.

So for how it handles in my opinion is better as I regularly do a large climb for the longest steepest decent.

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 0:38 Quote
Hi there,

I can add some of my experience, I did the same - bought -1,5 angleset from Works for my 2016 spartan (Im running 160mm pike). Reason was that right from start I felt that even in low settings HA is just too steep for my agressive/downhill focused riding style. I cant praise more ... for ascending it transformed bike only in the good way, more confidence on steeps and fast lines and I havent noticed any downsides in handling, BB has still enough clearance even with 175 cranks and STA I dont feel any difference honestly. Uphill I think change is almost unnoticable.. all fine.

What I would like to highlight is that originally I wasnt sure if 1,5° wouldnt be too much (was considering 1,0°), but now Im glad I went for 1,5.

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 0:40 Quote
correction: bike has transformed for descending of course :-)

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 21:46 Quote
Ooh, enticing. I rode a 2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude and could actually see from the saddle how much more raked out it is up front then my old skool 2016 Spartan. I ride quite steep and aggressive stuff here in Nelson BC and became curious about how I could achieve the great downhill ability of the Altitude without having to buy the Altitude. I have my Spartan tuned up the way I like it: coil shock, Lyrik, I love how it feels. I did enjoy how the carbon Altitude scampered up stuff pretty nicely, but not enough to drop $6000 on one. I am happy with how my Spartan climbs with a Cane Creek Inline Coil with the climb switch engaged and the dual position fork in the low position. Sounds like an angle set might lower it even further which kind of freaks me out, but might be worth a try for the down hill performance.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2023 at 11:19 Quote
reviving this old thread as im wanting to do the same to my spartan, using a 1.5* setup. for those that have done it, how did you like it? ill be putting a lyric on it so already slackens the not so slack 65.8 by .5*

also which headset did you use? is the bottom zs 56 or 62? getting conflicting information. would there be any issue running an EC44 instead of the ZS44 cup on top?

thanks!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009087
Mobile Version of Website