Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 4:55 Quote
Anybody already got a wobbly backwheel and know how to fix it?
Ive got the Bontrager Rapid Drive 54 Boost in the back. Is there any chance to tighten the end caps?

https://www.trekbikes.com/de/de_DE/equipment/fahrradkomponenten/fahrradnaben--nabenteile/bontrager-rapid-drive-54-boost-hr-nabe/p/574073/

Or could this wobbly feeling beeing caused through loose spokes?

First time having this issue.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 5:53 Quote
felix571 wrote:
Ive got the Bontrager Rapid Drive 54 Boost in the back. Is there any chance to tighten the end caps?

https://www.trekbikes.com/de/de_DE/equipment/fahrradkomponenten/fahrradnaben--nabenteile/bontrager-rapid-drive-54-boost-hr-nabe/p/574073/

Probably hub bearings? I've had to replace mine twice already. These hubs just eat them for some reason.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
felix571 wrote:

It could definitely be spokes, check their tension by hand see if you can notice one or some that are noticeably looser.
Also double check that the axle is torqued to spec (I recommend checking all bolts at least once a week), they do become loose after some riding, sometime very quickly if you ride a lot and in rough terrain. If the axle is not torqued enough, you definitely be causing more stress on the hub and bearings.

I've been happy with the bontrager hubs! Quite happy with the easy and cheap upgrade to 108 engagement points too.
The bontrager aluminum mtb rims are a bit on the soft side, but at least it makes it so they don't crack on the first rock strike. I was relatively gentle on the carbon rims last season and am happy to ride them for a second season!
In the past 3 years, I had 2 bontrager wheelsets and 1 custom wheelset with hope pro 4 hubs. I never had to change the bearings on the bontrager hubs (and still have/ride the wheels). Surprisingly I had to change the bearings twice, in the same season, on the hope pro 4. And the second time, I found that the hub was damaged where there was a tiny bit of play between the brand new bearing's race and the hub's bore (green locktite to the rescue).

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 17:48 Quote
Fre4krider wrote:
Hi I have a creaking sound while pedaling and moving weight from one side to the other. I head that the issue is the main pivot at the chain stay over the bottom bracket.
I removed and greased it since it was completely dry. The creaking was gone for a few weeks but is now back.
I also noticed that the chainstay has a large tolerance and I need to tighten it with the bolt to close the gap to the main frame, is that normal!?
Are your creaking sounds gone completely after you greased it? Otherwise I would try to get a new chainstay

I had a similar sound when pedaling, turned out to be the freehub pawls in the rear hub weirdly enough.
I just live with it and it sometimes comes and goes.
I was told the only way to completely eliminate it is to get a new hub/wheelset.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 17:57 Quote
Noticed this crack on my head tube the other day forming right between the ride wrap I have on it. Weird spot for a crack to develop, especially considering there were no impacts anywhere on the front of the bike. Bottom of headtube where it connects with the downtube and the top by the knock block are both totally fine and free of any damage.

It's getting warrantied for a new one thankfully, but thought I would share.
Can't say I've seen a crack in this location on a carbon bike before

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
I'm doing my first 50 hour air can service on a 2022 Rockshox Super Deluxe Thrushaft. The first step is to remove the yoke from the damper assembly, so I can slide the air can off. However, the yoke seems really tight and I don't want to damage the damper body by putting too much pressure on it. Anybody else do this service and any advice?

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 18:19 Quote
betterbuckleup wrote:
Noticed this crack on my head tube the other day forming right between the ride wrap I have on it. Weird spot for a crack to develop, especially considering there were no impacts anywhere on the front of the bike. Bottom of headtube where it connects with the downtube and the top by the knock block are both totally fine and free of any damage.

interesting, Is the carbon cracking or is this just the clear coat?

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 18:55 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
betterbuckleup wrote:

interesting, Is the carbon cracking or is this just the clear coat?

As far as I can tell, the carbon. Maybe not by much though. You can see beneath some parts of the base layer of paint on some parts of the crack so I would assume it goes deeper.

It goes almost a full 180 around the head tube

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 22:15 Quote
pqbb wrote:
felix571 wrote:

It could definitely be spokes, check their tension by hand see if you can notice one or some that are noticeably looser.
Also double check that the axle is torqued to spec (I recommend checking all bolts at least once a week), they do become loose after some riding, sometime very quickly if you ride a lot and in rough terrain. If the axle is not torqued enough, you definitely be causing more stress on the hub and bearings.

I've been happy with the bontrager hubs! Quite happy with the easy and cheap upgrade to 108 engagement points too.
The bontrager aluminum mtb rims are a bit on the soft side, but at least it makes it so they don't crack on the first rock strike. I was relatively gentle on the carbon rims last season and am happy to ride them for a second season!
In the past 3 years, I had 2 bontrager wheelsets and 1 custom wheelset with hope pro 4 hubs. I never had to change the bearings on the bontrager hubs (and still have/ride the wheels). Surprisingly I had to change the bearings twice, in the same season, on the hope pro 4. And the second time, I found that the hub was damaged where there was a tiny bit of play between the brand new bearing's race and the hub's bore (green locktite to the rescue).

Okay, I will double check the spokes. Yesterday I torqued the rear axle a little higher then I should (normally Im doing this with a torque wrench and 10NM). I think it got better.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 22:17 Quote
its-joe wrote:
felix571 wrote:

Probably hub bearings? I've had to replace mine twice already. These hubs just eat them for some reason.

Is there any kind of manual/document for these Bontrager hubs? Found nothing on the Trek website.

Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 14:28 Quote
felix571 wrote:
its-joe wrote:
felix571 wrote:

Is there any kind of manual/document for these Bontrager hubs? Found nothing on the Trek website.

I don't know, but there is nothing much to document.
You just pull on the end caps to access the bearings or the freehub.

On mine, the rear hub come apart very easily by hand. For the front hub I had to use a rubber strap to get enough grip to pull them off.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
Does anyone else's RS Super Deluxe thru shaft make this squelching noise at the start of each ride (see video), after it's been sitting for a bit? I'm curious if this is normal, perhaps just air equalizing, but to me it sounds a lot like air in the damper oil (cavitation) which is not good. The noise does ease off after 15-20 cycles. Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 172    Faves: 1    Comments: 1

Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 15:22 Quote
samty wrote:
Does anyone else's RS Super Deluxe thru shaft make this squelching noise at the start of each ride (see video), after it's been sitting for a bit? I'm curious if this is normal, perhaps just air equalizing, but to me it sounds a lot like air in the damper oil (cavitation) which is not good. The noise does ease off after 15-20 cycles. Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

My Trek Fuel EX Reaktiv shock does the same exact thing. I know something’s wrong but I don’t know what.

Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 19:35 Quote
sheplivingston wrote:
samty wrote:

My Trek Fuel EX Reaktiv shock does the same exact thing. I know something’s wrong but I don’t know what.

That happens if you lay your bike down on its side for too long. I have a Slash 8 and whenever I lean it on its side for too long, it starts to leak oil and make a squelching noise

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2022 at 20:51 Quote
RohitSengupta wrote:
sheplivingston wrote:
samty wrote:

That happens if you lay your bike down on its side for too long. I have a Slash 8 and whenever I lean it on its side for too long, it starts to leak oil and make a squelching noise

Nothing to do with it being on its side for me, happens regardless of what position the bike has been in.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.085930
Mobile Version of Website