Tubeless tires not seating evenly

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tubeless tires not seating evenly
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 21:26 Quote
Hey - I'm trying to mount new Maxxis Ardent tires, tubeless, on a set of standard alloy rims that came with my Niner Air9 carbon. I can't get the bead of the tire to mount evenly all along the rim. So it leaves a huge hop in tire when rolling.
I've remounted several times....same behavior. I've checked the rim tape, and it seems even. The tire bead doesn't seem damaged or uneven.
Check out the attached pic - you can see where the bead goes too far into the rim. I've pulled and yanked the tire at this spot to get it to sit higher, but nothing.
Any suggestions on how to get the tire to seat evenly? Thanks!
photo

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
I had a similar problem with a Maxxis tire, not as bad as yours, but here is what I did. I mounted the tire up with correct sized tube, inflated it to 35 lbs, and let it sit for a couple of days. I then removed the tube and wala, the tire seated fine..Be worth a try, or you could possibly get a warranty on yours.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 1:21 Quote
Are they tubeless rims?

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
If you over-inflate the tire just a tad it'll usually even out the bead seating and then you can immediately deflate it back to your preferred spec, but that's advice that I can't give on a public forum as it has the potential to blow the tire off the rim if you inflate too far. ...Wink

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
I like the tube assist idea. Use the tube to seat both beads, then remove the tube by unseating one side only. Now, you have 1/2 of the job done before you add the burst of air. Do you have access to a flash pump or something similar? If not, a 20-24 gram Co2 cartridge can provide that bead-seating blast.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
I usually get a wet cloth and put a drop of dish soap on it, rub it in a bit, then run the cloth along the bead of the tire. Pump that thing up to 40psi and BOOM! Helps the bead seat perfect every time.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
amiller72 wrote:
Hey - I'm trying to mount new Maxxis Ardent tires, tubeless, on a set of standard alloy rims that came with my Niner Air9 carbon. I can't get the bead of the tire to mount evenly all along the rim. So it leaves a huge hop in tire when rolling.
I've remounted several times....same behavior. I've checked the rim tape, and it seems even. The tire bead doesn't seem damaged or uneven.
Check out the attached pic - you can see where the bead goes too far into the rim. I've pulled and yanked the tire at this spot to get it to sit higher, but nothing.
Any suggestions on how to get the tire to seat evenly? Thanks!
photo

always inflate to max pressure, then reduce to prefered psi.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009775
Mobile Version of Website