Building a 26er for my son with 27.5 fork

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Building a 26er for my son with 27.5 fork
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 4:44 Quote
Found a frame I want to build for my son but in a quandary. It’s got a tapered head tube - so when looking for forks, tapered 26er forks are not easily found. I did find a good deal on a 100mm Marzocchi LR 27.5 fork but unsure how a 26 wheel & tire would look / ride in the 27.5 fork. Any issues?

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 6:18 Quote
First, it's easy enough to run a non-tapered fork in a tapered head tube. You just need a different lower headset to take up the space. Check out Cane Creek: https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Now, if you do want to go with the new 27.5 fork, there are zero issues running a 26" wheel in there (assuming the axle is the right fit: 20mm, 15mm, boost, etc.). It will even give better mud clearance at the arch. The only issue would be a slightly taller axle-to-crown height: it might lift the front end of the bike up about 1/2". This is not a big deal, and might even be a good thing as it will slacken out the head angle a touch on that older bike.

You're fine either way!

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
To clarify the above a bit, you do not need a different headset but only a different crown race--depending on manufacturer these are often called 'reducer' or 'conversion' crown races to fit a 1.5 headset cup bearing to a 1 1/8 steer tube. I run several 1 1/8 steerer forks with Cane Creek headsets and this conversion race

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008861
Mobile Version of Website