XT Deore Derailleur won’t fit 2019 Patrol - help!

PB Forum :: Transition
XT Deore Derailleur won’t fit 2019 Patrol - help!
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 6:05 Quote
photo

Guide Wheel is very far away from highest gear and the B tension screw is all the way out. I cannot figure out how to get the guide wheel closed to the cassette
Guide Wheel is very far away from highest gear, and the B tension screw is all the way out. I cannot figure out how to get the guide wheel closed to the cassette!

Guide Wheel is very far away from highest gear and the B tension screw is all the way out. I cannot figure out how to get the guide wheel closed to the cassette
Guide Wheel is very far away from highest gear, and the B tension screw is all the way out. I cannot figure out how to get the guide wheel closed to the cassette!

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some help with a Shimano XT derailleur I just got to replace my Sram NX derailleur on my 2019 Patrol Alloy NX. I am running this with the NX cassette, but have read that there are no issues when running this combination. I was able to mount the XT fine, but I have to run the B tension screw all the way out, and the guide jockey wheel is still so far away from the cassette. Has anyone run into this issue, and can anyone provide some advise on what I need to do to get this derailleur to fit properly?

FYI this is my first attempt at changing components on a bike, so any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:54 Quote
set the limit screws and put the chain on

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
I don't think you'll be able to use the XT derailleur with a Sram shifter, since I think they pull different amounts of cable.

If your b-tension screw is not allowing you to bring the derailleur closer to the cassette, you've got something done incorrectly. Tough to tell without photos. Make sure the mounting bracket is spun in the correct alignment.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
excellent point, the Shimano Mech likely wont play well with the the SRAM shiftier. The cassette is interchangeable between brands

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
I have photos on my main page. Haven’t figured out how to add them to a post yet(still new to PB). I thought I put some sort of link to the photos at the beginning of my post.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
tleach16 wrote:
I have photos on my main page. Haven’t figured out how to add them to a post yet(still new to PB). I thought I put some sort of link to the photos at the beginning of my post.

I have seen your photos

1. your group set is likely incompatible, ensure you shiftier and mech are the same brand and will function together before going forward.

2. the positional of your jockey wheel in relation to the cassette is most important in the largest cog, to set the b-screw properly, you should adjust the limit screws on your derailleur and install the chain first, then tune the b-screw. from the pictures your jockey wheel position, in relation to the cassette look normal.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 11:16 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
tleach16 wrote:

I have seen your photos

1. your group set is likely incompatible, ensure you shiftier and mech are the same brand and will function together before going forward.

2. the positional of your jockey wheel in relation to the cassette is most important in the largest cog, to set the b-screw properly, you should adjust the limit screws on your derailleur and install the chain first, then tune the b-screw. from the pictures your jockey wheel position, in relation to the cassette look normal.

Better view of the B tension screw and mounting of the derailleur.
Better view of the B tension screw and mounting of the derailleur.

Not even close to the 51tooth line with the B screw all the way out in the largest gear.
Not even close to the 51tooth line with the B screw all the way out in the largest gear.

Another view of the front in largest gear.
Another view of the front, in largest gear.

Front of Cassette shows how far away guide pully is in largest gear.
Front of Cassette shows how far away guide pully is in largest gear.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 11:35 Quote
does it shift? does it skip?

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 12:20 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
does it shift? does it skip?

It shifts really well, but is a bit vague because the guide wheel is so far away from the cassette. I looked up if an additional mount was needed, but could only find information on "direct mounts" for the previous models. I also researched if a different derailleur hanger exists for the 2019 patrol that is for shimano, and no luck there either.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
photo

Whats this little bit? I dont have any Shimano 12spd mechs laying around to compare, but I wonder...if it wasn't there the B-screw would rest on the hanger (like most other mech designs), and removing would likely let you properly adjust the mech.

...hopeful that someone who knows more about shimano 12spd can chime in.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
I just looked at a service manual, thats just the b-tension stop... does not look removable/adjustable.

I gave your problem some though last night, and I am super curious as to what the issue is.... not that I am being very helpful.....

O+
Posted: May 12, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
Have you tried contacting Transition?

O+
Posted: May 12, 2020 at 11:56 Quote
Transition has a different hanger for Shimano. Contact them and they will get one for you. There is a subtle difference in the depth of the b-screw stop. Alternatively, take a grinder to yours and grind a mm or two at a time until it fits.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
photo

Whats this little bit? I dont have any Shimano 12spd mechs laying around to compare, but I wonder...if it wasn't there the B-screw would rest on the hanger (like most other mech designs), and removing would likely let you properly adjust the mech.

...hopeful that someone who knows more about shimano 12spd can chime in.

I actually tried that, and it blew right through the soft metal of the hanger! I am going to reach out to transition tomorrow. I’ll post an update on what they say.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2020 at 17:51 Quote
I had a thought that there might be a different hanger, but couldn’t find anything in my research. I am going to take your advice and reach out to Transition!

You all have been awesome, I really appreciate all the advice and trouble shooting!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025037
Mobile Version of Website