I’ve got a 2014 Kona Fire Mountain Hardtail with a sr suntour xcr fork, I want to us it for more than basic xc, small to medium jumps and drops nothing crazy. Can the fork I have handle it or should I upgrade if I do what are some good budget friendly forks that I should look at also are used forks worth it? Also the current fork has 100mm travel how much would it change the ride if I went to 120mm. It would have to be a straight 1 1/8 steerer with QR axle
I have the same bike and fork. That suntour fork is a piece(I refer to it as a brick) and I wouldn't trust it to do much of anything. I think mine still had a warning sticker on the fork saying the fork was meant for 'leisurely xc riding only.'
I’ve got a 2014 Kona Fire Mountain Hardtail with a sr suntour xcr fork, I want to us it for more than basic xc, small to medium jumps and drops nothing crazy. Can the fork I have handle it or should I upgrade if I do what are some good budget friendly forks that I should look at also are used forks worth it? Also the current fork has 100mm travel how much would it change the ride if I went to 120mm. It would have to be a straight 1 1/8 steerer with QR axle
i also want to upgrade my fork as it doesnt handle much terrain i have the rebound all the way maxed and yet it still bottoms out help knowing what fork to upgrade too would be much appreciated
XC bikes are not terribly well suited for jumps and drops. Fact : Most of the crashes on the Friday fails videos are people riding freeride features on XC oriented bikes.
That said, any 1 1/8 straight steer tube fork with QR dropouts will fit on the bike. Most bikes can take an additional 20mm of fork travel without significant issues. If you are shopping used, make sure you have enough steer tube length (easiest thing to do is just measure your current steer tube)
XC bikes are not terribly well suited for jumps and drops. Fact : Most of the crashes on the Friday fails videos are people riding freeride features on XC oriented bikes.
That said, any 1 1/8 straight steer tube fork with QR dropouts will fit on the bike. Most bikes can take an additional 20mm of fork travel without significant issues. If you are shopping used, make sure you have enough steer tube length (easiest thing to do is just measure your current steer tube)
Haha so true. My Fox 40 has saved my life many, many times. I make a bad mistake, the 40 says, "I got you!" And we just keep on rolling. I feel like maybe the advent of enduro convinced some people their pedal bikes could send it.
That give me an idea. Put a 40 on your hardtail and send it like a jukebox hero!