Powered by Outside

Cracked Santa Cruz Bronson CC v1 2014

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cracked Santa Cruz Bronson CC v1 2014
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
Hey guys, my first post.

So on Sunday I drove through a height restricted barrier with my Carbon Bronson on the roof of my car. Yeah, Im a f*cken idiot.
The barrier hit the Stem of the frame, broke the front brake hose, ripped off the adjusters of my fork (Rockshox Pike 160mm) and some fractures on the frame where the Thule carrier arm locks onto.

The spoiler on my car dented, and the Thule Bike carrier snapped in half.

I've got a mate who says he can repair the frame for free, he's an engineer who works with carbon fibre, and has designed and built carbon sailing masts. He's repaired a carbon frame before, and I do trust him with my life.

my questions are :

Would you repair it, and continue to ride as hard as normal OR

Make an insurance claim (insured for £1500 / $1800) and buy a used frame ? if so, what frame (150mm travel)? I say used frame , because my components are 6 years old and most wont work with a new frame, eg. my rear hub is non boost.. OR

Make insurance claim, and sell all my components , and get a new bike

The fork adjuster that broke off is for low-speed damping, I could ride without that adjuster.

I'm hesitant to make the insurance claim as my excess payment is £300 and my premiums would go up.
I've also recently spent £300 on a new drive train , and £100 on new disk rotors and pads.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 6:52 Quote
This was quite a mistake, but this is how it goes, shit happens, and this is what insurances are for.

Insurance claim right away, then depending on your financial situation, wait to get some money from them and decide from there, or buy a new (or used) bike immediately.

Any idea how much more you would have to pay if you use your insurance?

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
I'd collect insurance, sell what I have and get a new bike. It might not be a carbon bike unless you want to come out of pocket by quite a bit, but you can pick up a nice used bike or whatever you chose to do.

edit: stupid things happen, don't beat yourself up over it.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
tshimanek wrote:
I'd collect insurance, sell what I have and get a new bike. It might not be a carbon bike unless you want to come out of pocket by quite a bit, but you can pick up a nice used bike or whatever you chose to do.

edit: stupid things happen, don't beat yourself up over it.

Yeah I'd get a new aluminum frame , not worried about the extra bit of weight. thanks for the sympathy

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
If you claim on insurance, they may not require that you give them the damaged bike.

Best case is to make the claim, tell them the bike is garbage and you will dispose of it, and then get your buddy to fix it. use the insure the pay for the stuff you cant repair and maybe have enough left over for a pint?

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
If you claim on insurance, they may not require that you give them the damaged bike.

Best case is to make the claim, tell them the bike is garbage and you will dispose of it, and then get your buddy to fix it. use the insure the pay for the stuff you cant repair and maybe have enough left over for a pint?

Yeah might be in a position where I get the payout, add an extra £500 and buy a new bike, but also keep the old one and get it repaired to have as an extra bike. best case scenario I guess

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 8:03 Quote
lemons and lemon aid.

you are really fortunate to have friends who can do carbon repair. I have a friend who is an amazing welder/ fabricator. great people to surround yourself with for so many reasons.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013061
Mobile Version of Website