Unidentified clicking sound coming from front wheel are when performing an endo

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Unidentified clicking sound coming from front wheel are when performing an endo
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 4:20 Quote
I have recently bought a Canyon Strive CF and have had no problems or crashes on it. However, there is an unpredictable clicking sound coming from the front wheel area (not sure whether it's from the forks, brakes, hub or even perhaps the headset). The sound only occurs when I do an endo using the front brake and even then it is not a sound which happens every time, it is only on every fifth or tenth endo, it is quite a sharp and loud click that doesnt sound too healthy. I've thoroughly inspected the frame for cracks and think it is safe to say I can rule that out due to both the inconsistency of the noise and the fact that I haven't found even a hint of a crack. Does anyone know what this might be?

Cheers Edward

P.S. if it is part specific then it may be helpful to know what components I have:

Fork: Fox Float 34 Performance

Brakes: Hope Tech E4

Front disc: Hope tech

Front hub: Novatec

Front wheel: WTB i25 KOM

Headset: Nukeproof

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
Super hard to say without hearing the sound, but it doesn't hurt to make sure the headset is cleaned and lubed. When it is dirty, it can make a really harsh cracking sound. I just had to deal with this because I wasn't being careful enough when I washed the bike. Sometimes, the stem spacers creak, so a little anti-seize can help; in the same vein, sometimes un-lubed bolts can make a creaking/popping sound and benefit from a little anti-seize or light grease. It might also be cable related; ferrules or internal routing.

It's best to check and clean one thing at a time and then check again for the noise. That way you know what action fixes a particular noise. If you do everything at once, you'll never know exactly what the problem was.

Good luck

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 9:48 Quote
p0is0n0ak wrote:
Super hard to say without hearing the sound, but it doesn't hurt to make sure the headset is cleaned and lubed. When it is dirty, it can make a really harsh cracking sound. I just had to deal with this because I wasn't being careful enough when I washed the bike. Sometimes, the stem spacers creak, so a little anti-seize can help; in the same vein, sometimes un-lubed bolts can make a creaking/popping sound and benefit from a little anti-seize or light grease. It might also be cable related; ferrules or internal routing.

It's best to check and clean one thing at a time and then check again for the noise. That way you know what action fixes a particular noise. If you do everything at once, you'll never know exactly what the problem was.

Good luck

Sounds like a good approach, I got a video of the noise and that's on my video channel if that helps to diagnose. Thanks for your help

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007553
Mobile Version of Website