How hard can I ride a hardtail?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How hard can I ride a hardtail?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
Hi,

So I'm getting back into riding after a few years off.

I'm looking at getting a hardtail since I've only ever ridden full squish.
I'm wondering how well an aggressive Hardtail such as the Ragley MmmBop (or bluepig) and the Nukeproof Scout can handle bikeparks. I've seen GMBN take the scout to the park and basically smash everything. Sure it won't be a super pleasant ride, but I want to know if I can still ride with people who have full squish without the fame breaking.

I'm really afraid that the frame will break (no experience with hardtails, as I mentioned). And I'd like to ride it rather hard, jumps, own features and natural features in the woods, bikepark, dirt jumps etc etc.

Thank you guys. And sorry for being noobie. I'm just worried I'll buy something I'll regret.

For Refrence I've had a specialized Enduro Evo. And I'm planing on getting a Ragley Mmmbop (Would love the Bluepig but that's out of budget...)
Specs of rhe Ragley Mmmbop:
Fork - Rockshox Sektor RL 150mm 46mm Offset Boost
Headset - FSA Orbit 57E ZS Tapered
Handlebar - Ragley Alloy Handlebar, Black, 25mm, 780mm
Stem - Ragley 50mm, +3°
Wheels - WTB Serra 32h Boost
Tyres - 27.5X2.50 WT MINION DHF 3C MaxxTerra/EXO+/TR
27.5X2.40 WT MINION DHR II 3C MaxxTerra/EXO+/TR
Crankset - SRAM SX Eagle 12sp Boost DUB
Cassette - SRAM SX Eagle 11-50t 12sp
Shifter - SRAM SX Eagle 12sp
Brakes - SRAM Level T
180mm F&R
Seatpost - Brand-X Ascend
, M&L - 150mm,
I would use a cushcore and perhaps slap on a pair of 2.6 wheels.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
The frame will be very strong, I think if you aren’t casing anything massive or just trying to beat on the frame you will be okay, it’s really he back wheel that might break

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Depends on the bike park. If it's really chunky everywhere, full squish. If it's flowy, you can totally rock a hardtail.

It also depends on the speed you need to carry for the features. If the trails are built so that you have to rail every corner to clear the jumps, a bike that tracks the ground might make the difference for you. Whereas if you're already brake-checking features, the speed won't matter.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
I Rode my Dartmoor Hornet,180mm forks.Everywhere,uplifts the lot.Frame was okay,that back wheel got absolutely hammered,wheel bearings especially prone to excessive wear,and the rim had seen better days.But great fun all the same.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
Jumps are fine on a hardtail. Big flat drops are what might break a bike, like over 4 foot to completely flat. Beyond that it's only fear and common sense that will hold you back

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
I have ridden a hardtail my whole life, and never even TRIED a full sus. So, because of that, all my skills have been brought up by a hardtail. I have gone off 2-foot drops to flat and 4 foot drops to a landing. I've ridden some big jumps at bike parks, and have raced some extremely rocky and technical terrain. I can't really say that hardtails are better than full suspensions bikes, but from what I know, hardtails can do ANYTHING!!

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 15:18 Quote
The frame will handle almost anything, your legs and the rear wheel may not. Ht's can be ridden almost anywhere, just a bit slower than fs bikes, and there is less room for error. You may be able to keep up with your mates on full suspension if you're good enough, but you will feel it at the end of the day.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
Depends on the rider and the trails but generally I think you can ride a hard tail as hard as you can hold on, pump up your back tire to max pressure and get some clipless pedals.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 7:26 Quote
Simple answer is... You're going to hit your limit before the bike will

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 7:33 Quote
Simple answer is... You're going to hit your limit before the bike does

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
Your ankles will break before the frame does, or should if it's a half decent frame. I'm currently into the 6th month of hardtail only riding and while its definitely not as comfy as the full suss after a few hours there's been very few thing I've avoided due to being on a hardtail (2015 Orange Crush, plenty of upgrades but still using the old Rockshox Revolution fork). I usually ride a YT Jeffsy 29 pro race but having found a crack on the downtube I've been without it since late December and at first going back to smaller wheels and a pretty harsh riding frame felt like hard work, I'm now finding it more or less as capable as the Jeffsy on about 80% of trails I've ridden, not far behind on the rest, and while I've been riding longer than all of them I can still beat most of my full suss riding friends down a hill. Not sure where in the world OP is but good luck finding either of the bikes u mentioned, from what I'm seeing in the UK most bikes under £2000 are sold out in most sizes, on the plus side I'd guess there's gonna be some used bargains around when this lockdown ends and everyone goes back to the pubs on a weekend

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
You’ll survive jumps! Smile

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
ADHDMI wrote:
Depends on the rider and the trails but generally I think you can ride a hard tail as hard as you can hold on, pump up your back tire to max pressure and get some clipless pedals.

You lose too much traction over inflating the tyres, not good on a hard tail, much better to run lower pressure and inserts.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 19:18 Quote
I have ridden Big Rock (black trail) in Dupont less than 10 seconds off my full squish record (Insurgent with coil front and rear) record with my current hardtail. Its a very chunky ride, a lot of drops, but you can choose smart lines. I felt on the edge of safety much more often, as with the squish you just kinda go and as long as your form is good you are fine. With the HT you know if you screwed up. Hell, I took my HT down upper and mid black mountain in Pisgah, and anyone who has ridden there knows that can be a pretty rough ride.

Hardtail is a titanium kingdom vendetta btw. Amazing little bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010612
Mobile Version of Website