Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Severe manufacturing error on replacement shock bolts for Capra CF 2016

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Severe manufacturing error on replacement shock bolts for Capra CF 2016
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
Hi,

i ordered replacement bolts for the rear shock last week directly at YT here in Germany, those arrived today. While installing them i encountered a severe disign error that will certainly lead to nasty crashes.

I'll try my best to explain it:

In the current bolt-set, distributed directly from yt, the hole for the hex key isn't milled ,like in the originally installed bolt, but drilled.
The difference here is that a drill, in contrast to an endmill, leaves a taper or a cone at the bottom of the hole. The result of which is, that the overall depth of that hole is a little bit deeper than with an endmill, to achieve the same hex insertion depth.

The hole in the bolts is so deep that it actually goes into the shaft of the bolt and creates a weakspot at the transition between shaft and screwhead.

While i installed the bolt one of them snapped just shortly before i reached 12Nm with my torque wrench, the other one barely reached 12Nm.
What i am trying to say is that if someone installs these bolts and both barely reach 12Nm the first hit will snap the screw head clean off resulting in the damper beeing smashed into the frame and the rider propably straight otb and in to the ground.

I just messaged YT about this issue and am waiting for their response, i'll try too keep you updated.
Anyway i want to let everyone know about this just in case someone wants to replace their bolts too.
Be carefull and maybe take a look at the bolts in your bike.

I'll attach some pictures for better understanding

Scre and receiving bolt with the remaining shaft stuck inside
As you can see there is hole straight through the entire Head all the way into the screw. On the topsidee the only thing left is a little bit of the thread
Cone on the inside of the hex hole

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
Not a huge fan of the internal threading either. My bolt bent right where the threads stop inside the bolt (the weakest point). Not sure why they wouldn't use standard partially threaded bolts with nuts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010205
Mobile Version of Website