The do it all mtb?

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
Evkat wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:
Have you looked at any Yt’s? The Capra or the Jeffsy might be good

As I said previously, the Jeffsy and Capra would be great, but they don’t have a threaded bb or a water bottle holder. I have also heard bad things about YT’s customer service. If it helps, I’m leaning towards a bike more like the Jeffsy then the Capra.

Oh ok. I forgot

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 18:46 Quote
Norco sight a2 is a little out of your price range but you at least get a grip damper (basically a bomber z1). Full suspension bikes are expensive.

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 18:57 Quote
Nice bike, but the price is a little steep. I could always get it used or on sale at some point. Do you know if it pedals well? Is it playful at slower speeds? What’s the difference between the fox x2 and the dpx2? Is one better for climbing? Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
Great review of the A1.
https://youtu.be/ZzsmBkph_zE

I don't believe you're going to find a new bike other than the ripmo AF in your price range with the suspension you're looking for. I haven't ridden dvo but people seem pretty happy with it. If it's good enough for Remy metallier it's probably good enough for the rest of us.

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 20:41 Quote
https://www.fezzari.com/lasal
https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/all-mountain/

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 5:00 Quote
2019/2020 fuel ex. Yes I’m biased because I have one. But it does it all. I swapped out the front fork for a cane creek helm, long shocked the rear to a 210x55 and with the front fork set to 160mm and the rear around 140, it handles trails and bike park no problem including mountain creek.

Oh. And it will hold your silly water bottle lol

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 5:38 Quote
ricochetrabbit wrote:

lol lol lol

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
ricochetrabbit wrote:
2019/2020 fuel ex. Yes I’m biased because I have one. But it does it all. I swapped out the front fork for a cane creek helm, long shocked the rear to a 210x55 and with the front fork set to 160mm and the rear around 140, it handles trails and bike park no problem including mountain creek.

It does have a good drivetrain and a water bottle holder but the fork it comes with isn’t great and it’s only got 140mm of front travel. Your bike sounds awesome, but only because you have changed out the suspension entirely. If I were to do that, it would just cost more money and I could just get a better bike for that money.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 7:02 Quote
blakplastic wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the fezzari but it’s a little expensive. I’ve never heard anything about the company. Are they a good company? There aren’t many reviews on the bike either. Thoughts?

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
Evkat wrote:
ricochetrabbit wrote:

It does have a good drivetrain and a water bottle holder but the fork it comes with isn’t great and it’s only got 140mm of front travel. Your bike sounds awesome, but only because you have changed out the suspension entirely. If I were to do that, it would just cost more money and I could just get a better bike for that money.

How much travel do you want/need for 70% trail riding?

FL
Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
ricochetrabbit wrote:
Evkat wrote:
ricochetrabbit wrote:

How much travel do you want/need for 70% trail riding?

I have a 19 fuel 5 with the stock shock and a 160 yari, with 29 inch wheels whereas ricochet has regular 27.5’s. I love the bike and you can really rag on it, but I’d prefer to have 140 travel at a minimum for a 1 bike stable. The current For 1 bike, I’d be looking at the regular instinct, the Hightower, the stumpy Evo with a cascade link and possibly long shocked, the new reign 29, the niner rip rdo, the ripmo af, the og sentinel, the intense primer, the Devinci Troy, the new switchblade, a longshocked meta tr 29 and the genius, and an angleset in the bikes that can fit it to get the head angle to 64 degrees or slacker.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 12:07 Quote
Wow thanks for all the suggestions Slayer. The instinct has a pressfit bb. I love the Hightower, but it doesn’t have great specs. With sc i’d have to pay a lot to get decent spec. The stump evo has great spec and I would buy it even though it is a little expensive, but isn’t the head angle too slack? That’s what a couple reviews have said. It also has a very low bb, but that just makes it more stable. Other than that the evo has risen up the list, simply because it has such good specs from a big company. If I were going to switch out the shock, I’d rather just get a normal stumpy. I love the sentinel, but sadly they are discontinued. There are a couple used ones I found tho. I like the primer, but at almost 4 grand it only has a 34 and nx. I would want gx and a 36 at that price point. Too expensive for what you get. The niner rip 9 rdo is also too expensive at over 4 grand. The Devinci Troy would be great, but Jenson USA says it’s discontinued and there are no shops that sell it near me. Maybe I can find that used too. That switchblade is also too expensive, the blue looks sick though. The meta and the Scott also have a pressfit(sorry I hate bikes with pressfit bb’s but I hate any type of noise on my bike and those creak after a while). Is it possible for a bike to be too slack for trail riding? I don’t want get a bike like the stumpy evo only to realize that it isn’t playful at all at slow speeds due to its 64 degree head angle.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
Evkat wrote:
blakplastic wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the fezzari but it’s a little expensive. I’ve never heard anything about the company. Are they a good company? There aren’t many reviews on the bike either. Thoughts?

Excellent company.
You can try the bike for 30days and if you’re not satisfied return it no problems.
And it will definitely be lighter then the others as it’s carbon fiber.
Lifetime warranty.

FL
Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
Evkat wrote:
Wow thanks for all the suggestions Slayer. The instinct has a pressfit bb. I love the Hightower, but it doesn’t have great specs. With sc i’d have to pay a lot to get decent spec. The stump evo has great spec and I would buy it even though it is a little expensive, but isn’t the head angle too slack? That’s what a couple reviews have said. It also has a very low bb, but that just makes it more stable. Other than that the evo has risen up the list, simply because it has such good specs from a big company. If I were going to switch out the shock, I’d rather just get a normal stumpy. I love the sentinel, but sadly they are discontinued. There are a couple used ones I found tho. I like the primer, but at almost 4 grand it only has a 34 and nx. I would want gx and a 36 at that price point. Too expensive for what you get. The niner rip 9 rdo is also too expensive at over 4 grand. The Devinci Troy would be great, but Jenson USA says it’s discontinued and there are no shops that sell it near me. Maybe I can find that used too. That switchblade is also too expensive, the blue looks sick though. The meta and the Scott also have a pressfit(sorry I hate bikes with pressfit bb’s but I hate any type of noise on my bike and those creak after a while). Is it possible for a bike to be too slack for trail riding? I don’t want get a bike like the stumpy evo only to realize that it isn’t playful at all at slow speeds due to its 64 degree head angle.

The regular stumpy runs really small. It doesn’t need a new shock, but the cascade link and pulling the 5mm spacer in the shock seem to make the rear suspension work really well. Reach and chainstay length dictate playfulness more than head angle, so the 64 degree head angle wouldn’t be too bad, nor the 63.5 in low. I find pedal strikes have more to do with skill than bb height as well, and the cranks on the stumpy Evo are pretty short, so the low bb wouldn’t matter too much.

Another option is the new strive which start around $3000, you get the shapeshifter and 150 travel, so you could have a longer travel bike with the climbing manners of a shorter travel one.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
Rocky Mountain Instinct

Bird Aeris 145 is a good bet, as well as the Aether 7, Aeris AM 9, and Aeris AM 160

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016078
Mobile Version of Website