Whats the best cornering technique?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Whats the best cornering technique?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 at 21:10 Quote
Whats the best technique to take a corner fast? like, where should my weight be, stance, etc.

i can't seem to improve my technique..

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 at 21:17 Quote
pretty much the biggest thing that helps
and its rediculously obvious....

look where u want to go
DONT look at what ur trying to avoid

it makes a world of difference

there r a bunch of other things that help but im kinda in a lazy mood and the best way to describe them is pictures; watch some pro clips on youtube or something look at what they do

Posted: Feb 28, 2008 at 22:04 Quote
Look through the corner not at it, rotate ur hips into the corner, and lay off the brakes while cornering. It is better to brake before the corner, learning to carry speed through it.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 1:58 Quote
If it's a long corner I'll sort of tuck my knees to the side im cornering and I'll squash flat so my elbows are low and pump around it but if it's tight then I try to cut through the apex of it and if thats impossible and it's slow then cuttie around it but if it's fast then I'm f*cked lol, i normally go straight over the top if I do anything other than slow down heaps and pedal madly out of it

One other thing to watch out for that will make a massive improvement- never ever brake any further then 1/3 into the corner, ideally do all braking before entering the turn

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 7:11 Quote
You want to drop your outside foot and bring your inside foot up, turn you hips and look where you want to go. I usually brace my outside leg against the seat, that might just be a thing of personal preference though. Brake before entering the corner, so that you set your speed that you want to rail it beforehand. Braking during the corner is a no no.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 7:15 Quote
If your navigating a series of berms (ie. s-corners) You should be switching your feet. Your inside foot should always be higher than your outside foot or in front. It keeps your weight balanced and keeps your pedals off the ground... nothing sucks more than railing a berm and getting jacked cause your pedal gets too low.

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
looking ahead is the most important thing to remember, but also try and be as centered over the bike as possible, take advantage of your bike's suspension and find the balance between front and rear (on a hardtail stay centered as well, helps keep traction on both wheels)

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 9:31 Quote
close your eye's and hope for the best Razz

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 9:41 Quote
i practice biking at islands on sorta an angle, mabye 40 degress. and skid turning at the last second. anywhere i can turn on the road, i normally skid. its good for practice. only thing is, its pretty easy. when you go on dirt, your gonna have to force the skid a bit more with your body, but thats good. cuase you already have some good balance in the position

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 16:04 Quote

On berms :
break before the berm and set yourself up for it. Ride the berm high and remember dont hit your brakes the reason you brake before is so you can come out of the berm fast, keep your stance tall, dont shift just before or while your in the turn, you will lose your speed and possibly slide out only change your gears a good distance away from the turn, BE IN THE RIGHT GEAR i cant stress enough how much being in the proper gear for the turn can help you take it better. And dont put your foot down you dont have as much or as good of control with one foot off.

On Flat turns :
When your taking a flat turn or switchback remember brake before the turn. keep your feet on the pedals and learn to almost skid your bike around the turn without losing your speed or brakeing, yes its hard but it helps. Set your self up for where you have to ride if its a really bad turn look for the best line through it, now for switch backs brake in between the turns to set up for the turn and be in the proper gear for it. and commit.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 16:07 Quote
load your turns (preload) and lean bike more than body

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 16:10 Quote
I come to pinkbike to look at the POD and VOD, and I vist the forum less and less as more and more children are starting to use it.

Right at the top of the DH section there is a sticky on how to ride...READ IT
Go to your Barnes & Noble and buy Brian Lopes book and read it, get out and ride and follow riders better than you, watch what they do.

But stop asking or repeating shit thats been asked MANY times before...I dont care if your 10 or 13, learn to friggin read other posts with the search feature!

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 16:17 Quote
thorno wrote:
I come to pinkbike to look at the POD and VOD, and I vist the forum less and less as more and more children are starting to use it.

Go to your Barnes & Noble and buy Brian Lopes book and read it, get out and ride and follow riders better than you, watch what they do.

But stop asking or repeating shit thats been asked MANY times before...I dont care if your 10 or 13, learn to friggin read other posts with the search feature!

haha dont get angry but yeah that book is amazing i pretty much swear by it.

i guess you could say its the mountain bikers bible

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
thorno wrote:

haha dont get angry but yeah that book is amazing i pretty much swear by it.

i guess you could say its the mountain bikers bible
i concour

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015070
Mobile Version of Website