Scratches on Stanctions! How can it be fixed and how will it affect the life of the fork

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Scratches on Stanctions! How can it be fixed and how will it affect the life of the fork
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 22:47 Quote
There is one deep scratch on the stanction of my 888r Fork, is there a way to fix these scratches? or if not how will it affect the life of the suspension in the long run?
I can't buy another 888R fork anytime soon so I want to make sure that it's looked after

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 23:16 Quote
i would clean out the scratch with some rubbing alcohol then put a couple drops of super glue in the scratch. make sure to fill the scratch completely up. wait a while for it to dry then use an emeryboard or some super fine sandpaper and lightly sand down the super glue so its smooth and flush. good luck

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 23:40 Quote
find the HIGHEST grit sandpaper like 8000? and LIGHTLY sand the burs on the scratch once again be careful, after the scratch is sanded down clean with rubbing alcohol and then use clear or a matching colour nail polish to fill in the scratch. if don't properly it will look good, and won't rip your seals to shit

Posted: Oct 7, 2007 at 5:17 Quote
I'm gonna go with nail polish idea, cause I don't think super glue will stick to aluminum

Posted: Oct 7, 2007 at 13:35 Quote
yea buff out the roughness of the scratch with super high grit sand paper or emery cloth then scotch bright it after that.. i wouldnt bother filling it with anything unless its deep

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 8:14 Quote
whats the scotch bright for???

FL
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 20:43 Quote
sand it down with high grit sand paper, and clean it, be cearful about using petrolium based producs near your seals, because they will actualy deteriorate them.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 17:34 Quote
if it's real deep, i would use epoxy metal filler, or something like jb weld. who cares what it looks like, it will last longer and it will be much more durable. that or buy a new stanchion. they aren't that expensive relative to the price of a fork.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 19:39 Quote
what happenes if the scratches are left with out treatment

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 19:48 Quote
if you dont do anything, the scratch could be rough which could cut into the seal when it slides over it. Also oil could leak past the seal through the scratch or hole. Neither are very good at all.

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 23:04 Quote
Meh I have a huge scratch in my stanchion on my 888 rc and it survived a whole season of whistler without blowing seals or leaking oil, so I say if gets realy bad, try the nail polish thing , if it gets worse, then get new seals, realy all you can do.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 23:07 Quote
2200 grit and replace the seal if its already leaking. I had several pretty bad gouges on mine and that worked for me. Its been a year now and no problems.

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 23:15 Quote
ive heard of people brazing stantions before could give it a shot that might be dangerous if it aint apart and u don have a proper saudering iron

Posted: Feb 27, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
WHAT don't do it... get a hold of the company before even thinking about adding any type of heat to a fork ANYWHERE... it's just not a good idea...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011011
Mobile Version of Website