Can i fix a cracked rim?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Can i fix a cracked rim?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
so i cracked my rim the other day and the crack runs just over halfway across the rim, the rim still holds air but i'm scared the rim will crack more if i try to ride it, again it's an aluminum rim so it's only about 150 dollars to replace, is it worth it to try to get it fixed? And if so what should i do? (Get it welded, would jb weld work? Also it broke at the seam if that's important.) I'd also like to point out this crack caused me to crash because it lost air.
Thanks.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
No you cant really fix it.

Most likely it's a pinned joint and it is starting to come apart. It would be wise to replace the rim as it will continue to weaken overtime. When you get a new rim try and spend extra and get one that has a welded joint.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 13:25 Quote
It's a wtb asymmetrical rim do you know if that's a pinned rim? I'll probably replace the rim, should i get a different rim or should i replace it with the same one?

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 13:38 Quote
Most rims have different hole patterns and require different length spokes sometimes you can reuse all your spokes sometimes they have to be replaced.

The easiest would be to replace it with what you already have but you may run into the same issue you currently have. If WTB offers a similar rim with a welded joint you should probably be ok. The best bet is to go in and talk to the shop where you plan on getting the rim replaced and figure out what they can do.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Bikerdude137 wrote:
It's a wtb asymmetrical rim do you know if that's a pinned rim? I'll probably replace the rim, should i get a different rim or should i replace it with the same one?
same rim. do the swap yourself piss easy job in the youtube/google age. only thing to buy is new rim all spokes nipples just re use

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
Bikerdude137 wrote:
same rim. do the swap yourself piss easy job in the youtube/google age. only thing to buy is new rim all spokes nipples just re use
Ok, i think i'll get the dt swiss ex471 since the erd is basically the same size (2 millimeters smaller)

Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 2:37 Quote
Bikerdude137 wrote:
a-d-e wrote:
Bikerdude137 wrote:
Ok, i think i'll get the dt swiss ex471 since the erd is basically the same size (2 millimeters smaller)

Doesn't matter if it's a pinned or welded-unit. It if cracked, a stress point has been exceeded. A re-weld without CONSIDERABLE treatment simply isn't a fix - at least, in comparison to the price-point of some new unit. You'll be better off in the long-term with whatever similar bits are available. Everything will be fine!

Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 23:11 Quote
dood wrote:
Bikerdude137 wrote:
a-d-e wrote:

Doesn't matter if it's a pinned or welded-unit. It if cracked, a stress point has been exceeded. A re-weld without CONSIDERABLE treatment simply isn't a fix - at least, in comparison to the price-point of some new unit. You'll be better off in the long-term with whatever similar bits are available. Everything will be fine!
Okay, good to know! Like i said i already know the dt swiss rim is nice and strong so hopefully i won't break that, thanks!

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 0:18 Quote
Bikerdude137 wrote:
a-d-e wrote:
Bikerdude137 wrote:

Don’t think that that 2mm is nothing. Spokes and nipples need to be dead on measurement to the millimeter, not fooling around. That 2mm could be huge, and we are talking about a wheel that going to be dealing with massive forces here, and you’ve already broken one so you know you’re capable of breaking another. Catastrophic wheel failure is not a problem you want to have. Your best bet is to either take it to a shop and have them rebuild it correctly With the proper parts or find something complete for sale, whether off the discount rack or something used off Pinkbike. If you’ve never used a truing stand, replaced a spoke or used a spoke wrench DO NOT try the swap over method. You will hate yourself for it. Trust me when I say that you do not want to be trying to tension, true and chase a wheel hop on a shoddy garage build if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
Trudeez wrote:
Bikerdude137 wrote:
a-d-e wrote:

Don’t think that that 2mm is nothing. Spokes and nipples need to be dead on measurement to the millimeter, not fooling around. That 2mm could be huge, and we are talking about a wheel that going to be dealing with massive forces here, and you’ve already broken one so you know you’re capable of breaking another. Catastrophic wheel failure is not a problem you want to have. Your best bet is to either take it to a shop and have them rebuild it correctly With the proper parts or find something complete for sale, whether off the discount rack or something used off Pinkbike. If you’ve never used a truing stand, replaced a spoke or used a spoke wrench DO NOT try the swap over method. You will hate yourself for it. Trust me when I say that you do not want to be trying to tension, true and chase a wheel hop on a shoddy garage build if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Crack in rim is not repairable. DT swiss rim - include new spokes too into account + relacing the wheel.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 2:49 Quote
Trudeez wrote:
Bikerdude137 wrote:
a-d-e wrote:

I got the dt swiss rim in the end, it works great but apparently it was a different rim then the sticker on my rim said and it had a different erd so i had to get new spokes, not too big of a deal but still had too... also the rim broke right at the joint (it was pinned after all) and this new dt swiss rim is way stronger so i don't think i'll be breaking it any time soon

Thanks for all the suggestions tho!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008718
Mobile Version of Website