Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2024 at 3:16 Quote
IsaacO wrote:
Yep 38 and DH x2

I have a Zeb and a dhx2 and haven't ridden a 38, so I can't comment on that fork.
For the range, I prefer to run slightly higher spring rate front and rear and a click or 2 slower HSC, LSC, hsr and HSC on both the fork and shock than the ride aligned recommended. I also run the bar about 20mm higher than recommended as I'm very tall and 240lb with kit.

I agree with the other commenter that the range works better when running lower rebound damping than I'm comfortable with. Better tracking and grip.

If you don't have much time to tune all the things, I'd recommend leaving the HSC and hsr at the suggested and play with the low speeds and spring rate first to get bike feeling balanced front to rear and the suspension not packing down.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2024 at 9:39 Quote
IsaacO wrote:
adventuresbycole wrote:
Run the rear shock more open, this bike does not like allot of compression. Also run rebound quite fast, it really comes to life with rebound as fast as you can manage.

Any tips for the front end?

March the front rebound to the back to a certain level, you can error faster on LSR. If it’s feeling harsh still I would stay at 2 clicks from open on HSC and 6 from open on LSC. Set your sag with your riding gear on with all compression open. I like my 38 at 30% with 4 reducers. If I am riding something abnormally steep I’ll dial up LSC.

If it’s a used fork get it serviced.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2024 at 9:41 Quote
ozhuck2flat wrote:
IsaacO wrote:
Yep 38 and DH x2

I have a Zeb and a dhx2 and haven't ridden a 38, so I can't comment on that fork.
For the range, I prefer to run slightly higher spring rate front and rear and a click or 2 slower HSC, LSC, hsr and HSC on both the fork and shock than the ride aligned recommended. I also run the bar about 20mm higher than recommended as I'm very tall and 240lb with kit.

I agree with the other commenter that the range works better when running lower rebound damping than I'm comfortable with. Better tracking and grip.

If you don't have much time to tune all the things, I'd recommend leaving the HSC and hsr at the suggested and play with the low speeds and spring rate first to get bike feeling balanced front to rear and the suspension not packing down.

I also run the bars much higher than I thought would be good. 25mm of spacers on a 35mm rise bar.

Posted: Jan 29, 2024 at 22:54 Quote
IsaacO wrote:
Hey Range owners,

I've had a range for about a year now but I don't ride it super often due to how heavy it is. I've really struggled to get the suspension set up to a point where it feels balanced and fun...wondering if anyone else with a similar weight and riding style can help by sharing some of their suspension settings. This is my first time with factory suspension and its been pretty difficult to get dialed because I dont have the time to fiddle for hours with micro adjustments.

Im 200 lb+ Gear, riding mostly black diamond and above terrain in SoCal (Simi Valley). Ride with my weight centered on the bike not off the back. Currently running a 600lb spring in the back.

I have tried the ride aligned setup and found that it felt awful... I dont know if I did something wrong but I found myself sitting way too deep in the travel and my rebound was way too slow. Any tips would be appreciated.
One of the interesting things about the ride align settings; All the adjustments are out from fully closed.

Take your shock and fork settings and crank them all the way in, and then adjust them out according to the ride aligned chart. I thought it was the other way around at first, but when I followed the reverse method everything felt great. Saying this because it sounds like you had the same problems that I did.

I installed a Sprindex adjustable spring on mine, and that definitely helped me dial in the sag. I’m riding an extra large and 210 pounds FYI.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 8:09 Quote
I've got a lot of frame bearings to replace on mine lol... sad they only lasted about 30 rides or so. Are there any tricks to getting the main pivot bearings out? I was going to stand on it and use a slide hammer.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 10:42 Quote
loulew wrote:
I've got a lot of frame bearings to replace on mine lol... sad they only lasted about 30 rides or so. Are there any tricks to getting the main pivot bearings out? I was going to stand on it and use a slide hammer.

I put the link in a vise and used a big flat head to pound them out, has worked great everytime for me

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 10:49 Quote
Does anyone on here have any experience running a Bomber CR on their Range? Ideally with the WRP DH yokes.

I've got a yoke on the way for mine, and am shopping shock options. I've seen a couple notes that the Bomber seems heavy on the compression damping, and given that it's not externally adjustable, I was hoping for some ride impressions from you guys.

My current set up is the OEM DHX2 adjusted to 65mm, 550lb spring, HSC 2 from open, and LSC 1 from open.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 10:53 Quote
edthesled wrote:
Does anyone on here have any experience running a Bomber CR on their Range? Ideally with the WRP DH yokes.

I've got a yoke on the way for mine, and am shopping shock options. I've seen a couple notes that the Bomber seems heavy on the compression damping, and given that it's not externally adjustable, I was hoping for some ride impressions from you guys.

My current set up is the OEM DHX2 adjusted to 65mm, 550lb spring, HSC 2 from open, and LSC 1 from open.

If going Bomber get it tuned/upgraded by avalanche

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 11:37 Quote
adventuresbycole wrote:
loulew wrote:

I put the link in a vise and used a big flat head to pound them out, has worked great everytime for me

Can you do both the bearings on one side at once?

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 11:40 Quote
loulew wrote:
adventuresbycole wrote:
loulew wrote:

Can you do both the bearings on one side at once?

I am sure you could but I have only done them individually. About 15 minutes total including instal

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 12:46 Quote
If going Bomber get it tuned/upgraded by avalanche[/Quote]

The main draw to the Bomber is cost. So I'd almost definitely just get another DHX2 if I had to go that route. Have you run a Bomber on your Range?

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 13:21 Quote
The main draw to the Bomber is the much higher level of performance/longevity it offers over a DHX2 imo. I had a DHX2 on my Range, (which of course didn't last long) then got an Avalanche'd Bomber with the WRP DH yoke. Night and day, if the DHX2 was a 5/10 the Avalanche Bomber is a 10/10

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 16:42 Quote
ws2186 wrote:
The main draw to the Bomber is the much higher level of performance/longevity it offers over a DHX2 imo. I had a DHX2 on my Range, (which of course didn't last long) then got an Avalanche'd Bomber with the WRP DH yoke. Night and day, if the DHX2 was a 5/10 the Avalanche Bomber is a 10/10

Thanks! I'm sure the Avalanche Bomber is excellent, but if I'm being honest with myself, I probably won't send anything out to get tuned. Plus Avalanche is in the US, and that can be an added pain with shipping stuff back and forth.

I've had no issues with my DHX2 since I got the bike in 2022, but I realize other people have. I know they've also updated the shock for 2024, so it'd be a bit different to what we've all got anyway. At this point I'm just interested in some feelings on how the stock Bomber performed for anyone who's used it. And within that really pertaining more to where you wound up in it's range of adjustment.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 10:02 Quote
edthesled wrote:
ws2186 wrote:

Thanks! I'm sure the Avalanche Bomber is excellent, but if I'm being honest with myself, I probably won't send anything out to get tuned. Plus Avalanche is in the US, and that can be an added pain with shipping stuff back and forth.

I've had no issues with my DHX2 since I got the bike in 2022, but I realize other people have. I know they've also updated the shock for 2024, so it'd be a bit different to what we've all got anyway. At this point I'm just interested in some feelings on how the stock Bomber performed for anyone who's used it. And within that really pertaining more to where you wound up in it's range of adjustment.

I have not run it on mine but rode a friends that has it, wrong spring rate for me but felt much more controlled under faster hits. On my DH build I am going to be running the Superdeluxe due to the HBO, I am a fairly light rider but ride heavy on the bike so keeping small bump with the added end stroke ramp is my goal there.

You can order a tuned bomber directly through Avalanche. Long term that is going to be the best bet for you. An off-the-shelf tune with the Bomber is not going to be much improvement over the DHX. I have had my DHX rebuilt 4 times, with the last rebuild lasting barely 2 rides. It is a 21 model for reference.

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 14:18 Quote
I have not run it on mine but rode a friends that has it, wrong spring rate for me but felt much more controlled under faster hits. On my DH build I am going to be running the Superdeluxe due to the HBO, I am a fairly light rider but ride heavy on the bike so keeping small bump with the added end stroke ramp is my goal there.

You can order a tuned bomber directly through Avalanche. Long term that is going to be the best bet for you. An off-the-shelf tune with the Bomber is not going to be much improvement over the DHX. I have had my DHX rebuilt 4 times, with the last rebuild lasting barely 2 rides. It is a 21 model for reference.[/Quote]

Right on, thanks for the info. Though I am still interested in people's settings on the stock Bomber.

I'd ideally just run a SDLX as well, but with the V1 frame fitment, I'm pretty well limited to Bomber, DHX, DHX2, Ohlins TTX22M.2 TM PB, or the older gen SuperDeluxe that you'd have to find used.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009509
Mobile Version of Website