Opinion: Best way to mount a 360 camera?

PB Forum :: Biking Videos
Opinion: Best way to mount a 360 camera?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
I have an Insta360 One R that I'm playing around with. There are a number of ways to carry and/or mount it, and I'm running through them, but I thought I'd ask for general opinions on what works best for people. Options are:

Handlebar mount: above or below or forward of handlebar
Front fork mount
helmet mount (top or side)
Chest mount
backpack strap mount
wrist mount
Weird pole sticking up from waist strap mount.

Any obvious winners or losers? The issue I'm seeing with my videos so far is that because the camera has this (admittedly pretty damned good) stabilization, the video feels a lot like a village stroll. Even sharp inclines seem muted. Chest mounts at least snow the handlebars bouncing all over the place, which creates a bit of realism.

Opinions?

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 19:26 Quote
I'm continuing to try things out.

Backpack shoulder strap is ok but I get a lot of body in the shot.

Chest mount is better, at least it's more symmetrical, but there's still a lot of arms, legs pumping up and down, and occasional head dipping. I may be able to remove some of that by clipping the scene appropriately. Next item on my agenda.

Helmet mount bites. The visor blocks a lot of the action. I'm getting a mount extender, though, and hopefully dangling the camera farther forward will take care of that.

Posted: Aug 21, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
Update: I've figured out how to change the framing so that my arms are almost completely out of frame. Chest mount is looking way better right now. I still have to try helmet mount with an extender.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 22:02 Quote
I had the same question no long ago while using my GoPro Fusion and I followed this guy recommendation ( min 5:58 ) and the results are pretty good!

You can see blow some of my videos with the camera mounted on the handlebar:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=223444

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007997
Mobile Version of Website