PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Broken Bikes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
Show us your broken bikes.

Cracked frames? Yes please.
Wheels shaped like tacos? You betcha.
Split fork arches? Lets see it!
Stripped bolts, unbonded carbon, sheared headtubes? GIMME GIMME GIMME!

Posted: Aug 17, 2020 at 16:25 Quote
The latest frame to give up the ghost.

found the creak

I can't seem to keep a frame in one piece for longer than 5 years. Which is coincidentally when its frame warranty expired, wamp wamp.

FL
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 6:56 Quote
Thats a bummer dude.
Crack along the weld has me asking why they designed it like so.
Seems like such an odd spot to have sections welded together near a pivot with all the acting forces putting stress on that pointConfused

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
I guess it was the only way to allow for that interrupted seat tube with the chainstays extending to the lower shock mounts. Idk. I'm thinking of finding a HT frame and swapping the parts onto it

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
were those all your doing? That rental bar terrifies me. I have one and every creak from the bike makes me think I'm about to see that IRL

FL
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
I guess it was the only way to allow for that interrupted seat tube with the chainstays extending to the lower shock mounts. Idk. I'm thinking of finding a HT frame and swapping the parts onto it

The most cost effective way for the design to be constructed perhaps.
I hear you, any HT in mind or just something to get back in the saddle?

FL
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
Is that a King hub?

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
J1BB wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:

The most cost effective way for the design to be constructed perhaps.
I hear you, any HT in mind or just something to get back in the saddle?

This NS Eccentric EVO 27.5 is my top contender ATM with modern(ish) geo and a ~$260 price tag. I'm looking for something optimized around a 130ish fork (i.e. not a XC bike and not a 170mm hardcore hardtail). Suggestions welcome.

FL
Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
I can't offer any help on this one. I've solely owned 4X bikes for the last while. The last bike I could even compare was an On One 456 years ago

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
were those all your doing? That rental bar terrifies me. I have one and every creak from the bike makes me think I'm about to see that IRL

No, not my doing Smile

King hub
Renthal
Shimano
This was at EWS Maderia

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 3:40 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:

I went back to aluminium bars for this very reason.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
TibZ wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:

I'm conflicted. I hate the anxiety of not knowing if that creak is the bar about to fail, but I'm afraid an aluminum bar will feel harsh. When i got my carbon bar it felt like it was less harsh but that could just be all in my head or it could just be that the carbon bars design is better than the old aluminum one it replace (nukeproof warhead). Any recs on comfortable vibration dampening aluminum bars? maybe it had more to do with the renthal sweep (7 back 5 up) than it did with anything else. Idk. Too many variables.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
TibZ wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:

I'm conflicted. I hate the anxiety of not knowing if that creak is the bar about to fail, but I'm afraid an aluminum bar will feel harsh. When i got my carbon bar it felt like it was less harsh but that could just be all in my head or it could just be that the carbon bars design is better than the old aluminum one it replace (nukeproof warhead). Any recs on comfortable vibration dampening carbon bars? maybe it had more to do with the renthal sweep (7 back 5 up) than it did with anything else. Idk. Too many variables.

Indeed, some aluminium bars are ridiculously uncomfortable (hi, race face turbine). After a lot of trials (and errors), the only 35 mm aluminium bars I really like are the Chromag Fubars OSX 35. They are not so light, but they dampen nearly as good as the best carbon bars I've tried, they look great, feel great, are wide, etc. I like them a lot. Not cheap, though, for aluminium.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
Thx for the rec. Chromag OSX bar are at the top of the short list replace my renthal bar.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025042
Mobile Version of Website