Powered by Outside

Frame Protection

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Frame Protection
  • Previous Page
Author Message
Posted: Aug 23, 2020 at 15:46 Quote
Hello pinkbike, hope you are doing well. I recently bought my first full suspension, a yeti sb130. I am super excited for it to come in. I am looking to purchase some frame protection for it but I do not want to get the full frame custom protection like invisframe or ride wrap. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I was looking at the yeti designed one but have herd that it is super thin. I’m looking at lizard skins, ridewrap covered kit. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 11:38 Quote
Helicopter tape works pretty good.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 13:57 Quote
I have heard that. I would like to protect my fork as well, would that work there pretty well?

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
Helicopter tape works pretty good.

Yeah! I'm looking to buy some - and I thought it would be a simple Google search. But I'm getting weird returns. I've heard 3M brand is best and the for-real helicopter tape.

Any suggestions? (If possible, I'm looking for something pretty darn thin.)

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
Helicopter tape works pretty good.

Yeah! I'm looking to buy some - and I thought it would be a simple Google search. But I'm getting weird returns. I've heard 3M brand is best and the for-real helicopter tape.

Any suggestions? (If possible, I'm looking for something pretty darn thin.)

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
joeleburgess wrote:
PapaGordo wrote:
Helicopter tape works pretty good.

Yeah! I'm looking to buy some - and I thought it would be a simple Google search. But I'm getting weird returns. I've heard 3M brand is best and the for-real helicopter tape.

Any suggestions? (If possible, I'm looking for something pretty darn thin.)

I have been using "Allstar Performance ALL14275 Clear 2" x 30' Surface Guard Tape" on my bikes for years. It is thin and has protected my frame well. You should be able to find it on Amazon.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 3:42 Quote
That is the brand I have used as well and also got it from amazon.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
Is the all star tape pretty thick? I bought a ridewrap covered for my frame. I wanna protect my fork but not spend 40 on a custom one

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
Ok, so not bad at all

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
ryan-az wrote:
Hello pinkbike, hope you are doing well. I recently bought my first full suspension, a yeti sb130. I am super excited for it to come in. I am looking to purchase some frame protection for it but I do not want to get the full frame custom protection like invisframe or ride wrap. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I was looking at the yeti designed one but have herd that it is super thin. I’m looking at lizard skins, ridewrap covered kit. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you for your help!

I'd just get a full ridewrap kit if they have it on your bikes size and be done with it. They are very comprehensive and provide excellent coverage and very reasonable in cost.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
The full one is worth it for sure, but it is just such a pain in the ass to install. I ended up going with the ridewrap covered kit, but now I am trying to find something to protect the fork.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 10:09 Quote
ryan-az wrote:
The full one is worth it for sure, but it is just such a pain in the ass to install. I ended up going with the ridewrap covered kit, but now I am trying to find something to protect the fork.

You should try making your own XL size kit using the template off of a L size kit because they didn't have a XL size kit (hows that for a sentence.....).

3 hours to install the L kit, 3 days to create and install a replica that I made off of adjusting the L kit for my bike. Ugh.

I bought some 8 mil clear bra from a local car tint shop for the entire kit including the forks. I made a template with paper and then fully wrapped the for lowers. Came out good and the materials were cheap.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
Did you eyeball the fork stencil or did your trace it out? I think that getting either helitape or going that route will definitely be the route I will go for the fork.

Posted: Aug 25, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
ryan-az wrote:
Did you eyeball the fork stencil or did your trace it out? I think that getting either helitape or going that route will definitely be the route I will go for the fork.

I used a piece of 8x11 paper and cut it out to fit and then traced it onto the protective film. Since the forks are fairly simple shapes it wasn't a big deal.

  • Previous Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008506
Mobile Version of Website