TRX 2 carbon wheels

PB Forum :: Giant
TRX 2 carbon wheels
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 at 20:27 Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the Giant TRX 2 carbon wheels? My girlfriend is looking at a 2021 carbon Liv Intrigue Advanced and for some stupid reason they've spec'd their house brand carbon wheels. I know nothing about these wheels or hubs (a Giant branded 3 paw 30t hub) and am a bit worried about the level of quality in the wheels when the entire bike is only $3,300.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 23:14 Quote
The hub shell is giant and the internals are dt Swiss 350, could do a star ratchet up grade in the future. The rims are good as well, i did break one but i was running 20 psi by mistake in the rear riding in a very rocky area. Giant replaced the whole wheel.

O+
Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 8:58 Quote
Keoke wrote:
The hub shell is giant and the internals are dt Swiss 350, could do a star ratchet up grade in the future. The rims are good as well, i did break one but i was running 20 psi by mistake in the rear riding in a very rocky area. Giant replaced the whole wheel.

I think you mean 370, hub, that's the 3 pawl version. I did a bit of digging and technically yes you can convert a 370 3 pawl hub to a 350 star ratchet hub but with tools and parts you're looking at ~$350 which is more than the cost of a 350 hub + wheel lace so it's not worth it.

Good to hear some feedback on the rims. I've seen a few posts about the TRX 1 carbon wheels but after doing some digging I am pretty sure the wheels are exactly the same as the TRX 2's it's just that the more expensive TRX 1s have a better hub with a bit more engagement.

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 2:55 Quote
I have the TRX 1 on my trance and they have been great stay nice and true, no issues and very light.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
I was looking at the Trance 29 Advanced 2 2020 vs 2021 models and noticed the "downgrade" to the hubs for 2021.

I think the 2020 TRX1 wheels are better while the 2021 drivetrain (SLX) is better than the 2020 NX.

The 2020 and earlier hubs are DT Swiss internals which could easily be upgraded. Not so much for 2021

No doubt it was an effort to keep the price similar.

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
Keoke wrote:

I had emailed Liv/Giant asking about being able to upgrade to the star ratchet and was told that it would not work with the 3-pawl DT-Swiss 1520-DT360M-902 hubs that the bike is spec'd with. I'd love someone to tell me differently. The somewhat slow engagement is my least favourite aspect of this otherwise amazing bike.

I realize this original post is old, but in case anyone else is looking for info, I FREAKING love the "carbon" wheels that came on my Intrigue. They make the bike feel like it wants to fly up the hills. I also ride her hard and rough and haven't had even a hint of a problem or a wobble in this wheelset.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
MLeier wrote:
Keoke wrote:

I had emailed Liv/Giant asking about being able to upgrade to the star ratchet and was told that it would not work with the 3-pawl DT-Swiss 1520-DT360M-902 hubs that the bike is spec'd with. I'd love someone to tell me differently. The somewhat slow engagement is my least favourite aspect of this otherwise amazing bike.

I realize this original post is old, but in case anyone else is looking for info, I FREAKING love the "carbon" wheels that came on my Intrigue. They make the bike feel like it wants to fly up the hills. I also ride her hard and rough and haven't had even a hint of a problem or a wobble in this wheelset.

It is possible but it is not a simple pop out the 3 pawls and pop in a star ratchet which is why Giant told you it wont work. Here's a video explaining how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XpRZCLTX4&ab_channel=Jamesthebikeguy

As I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread the parts and tools alone to convert the 3 pawl system to the star ratchet is about $350 which is more than the cost of a 350 star ratchet hub + wheel lace so it's not worth it. The tools alone to remove the 3 pawl drive ring and install the star ratchet ring are $100. The rest of the cost is parts and the part numbers are listed at the bottom of the youtube video. I also read somewhere online that the dust seals do not line up when you convert the hubs. It works but it's not a perfect seal. Again considering the price it's just not worth it. Just get a new hub and relace the wheel.

Glad to hear you like the wheels on the Intrigue. My girlfriend just picked up a 2021 Intrigue Advanced 27.5" with the TRX 2 wheels. I believe the only difference between the TRX 2 wheels and the more expensive TRX 1 wheels is the hub so it's good to know the rims themselves are good. The TRX 2 uses a DT swiss 370 3 pawl, the 1's use a 360 3 pawl and the TRX 0's use a DT swiss 350 star ratchet hub. Oddly enough DT Swiss no longer lists the 370 or 360 hubs on their website. Are they only making star ratchet hubs now?

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 22:37 Quote
Hi, does someone know, if is possible to use DT 370 freehub body on TRX2 MY2021 hub? Thanks.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
DT Swiss now makes an upgrade kit to convert the 3 pawl to a star ratchet.

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 19:00 Quote
I tried upgrading mine and they are different, they are not 350 internals although they look just like it. I bought a junk 240 for parts and it was a waste of time.

Posted: Jan 27, 2023 at 21:54 Quote
Dadsondirt wrote:
DT Swiss now makes an upgrade kit to convert the 3 pawl to a star ratchet.

Would these be the DTswiss Upgrade kit you are talking about.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wheels-technology/ratchet-ln-technology

Posted: Mar 3, 2024 at 18:50 Quote
Reviving an old thread here.

Have just taken delivery in Oz of a Trance X Advanced Pro 29 1, which has the TRX 2 wheel sets.

www.giant-bicycles.com/au/trance-x-advanced-pro-29-1

Based on a few threads online, I had bought the DT Swiss spline conversion kit prior to collecting the bike, as everything I had read online suggested the hubs were DT Swiss internals. Turns out they are not, with the pawl ringnut being a slightly larger diameter than the DT Swiss ones. Looks to me like it would all still assemble correctly as long as the correct outer diameter thread with correct spline internal diameter was fitted.

Anyone have any idea if such a thing even exists?

Posted: Mar 3, 2024 at 18:53 Quote
travis3366 wrote:
I tried upgrading mine and they are different, they are not 350 internals although they look just like it. I bought a junk 240 for parts and it was a waste of time.

Have found this out the hard way, had already ordered the LN conversion kit while I waited on delivery of my new bike, and the ring that the pawls engage onto is a different outer diameter to the DT Swiss one. So frustrating. At least I can use some of the parts on one of my other bikes, but not how I had intended.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008750
Mobile Version of Website