Heavy guy looking for an all around bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Heavy guy looking for an all around bike
Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
Polygon N9 - 160/160, DPX2, xt12, 36 Performance new with warranty = $3200. Lotsa bike for the money, I think. And a warranty.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 13:49 Quote
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:

Bolt diameter, thread pitch and length. Not riding a bike because of a shock bolt is just silly.

No Shit!. Find that bolt then. Its no where to be found.

If you can’t find it, call a couple local machine shops and see if they will make you a few. Hell, you could sell extras on eBay or whatever and it would cost you nothing.

To have a machine shop make an hex head internal thread bolt is quite the task. your talking big $$$$ to make that happen. Its not just as easy as dropping the bolt off and saying " here can you make me a few "

Not trying to start an argument but these issues seem to pop up quite often with YT. Lack of certain parts can cause a rider to be months without a bike.

Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

No Shit!. Find that bolt then. Its no where to be found.

If you can’t find it, call a couple local machine shops and see if they will make you a few. Hell, you could sell extras on eBay or whatever and it would cost you nothing.

To have a machine shop make an hex head internal thread bolt is quite the task. your talking big $$$$ to make that happen. Its not just as easy as dropping the bolt off and saying " here can you make me a few "

Not trying to start an argument but these issues seem to pop up quite often with YT. Lack of certain parts can cause a rider to be months without a bike.

Is now when I tell you a fine thread m8 bolt, two washers and a nylok locking nut would work if you were desperate enough? But it seems you’d rather complain...

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:

Is now when I tell you a fine thread m8 bolt, two washers and a nylok locking nut would work if you were desperate enough? But it seems you’d rather complain...

won't work. The exposed threads will damage the shock mount. You have no idea what you are talking about. Do your research before you continue to look like an idiot. No excuse for a company to not have these available. A customer shouldn't have to risk damaging his frame because YT sucks.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

won't work. The exposed threads will damage the shock mount. You have no idea what you are talking about. Do your research before you continue to look like an idiot. No excuse for a company to not have these available. A customer shouldn't have to risk damaging his frame because YT sucks.

Mark the bolt where it goes through the frame (I would include where the bolt goes through the shock mount) fill in those areas of the threads with JB weld, sand it smooth and to size.

Asking for help from people that know how to use tools and think creatively isn’t a bad thing.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:

Mark the bolt where it goes through the frame (I would include where the bolt goes through the shock mount) fill in those areas of the threads with JB weld, sand it smooth and to size.

Asking for help from people that know how to use tools and think creatively isn’t a bad thing.

you do know that the stock bolt on the capra is thicker then a standard m8 bolt.... Good idea but try again.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

you do know that the stock bolt on the capra is thicker then a standard m8 bolt.... Good idea but try again.

Then make a sleeve. Or build up the JB weld. Honestly, figure it out, I can’t go over there and hold your hand for you. It’s one of the easiest fixes ever.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:

you call building up bolt material by using JB weld an easy solution. No one is going to do that on a $$$$ carbon bike. Get real dude.

Then make a sleeve. Or build up the JB weld. Honestly, figure it out, I can’t go over there and hold your hand for you. It’s one of the easiest fixes ever.

Trying to increase the diameter equally on a 2 inch bolt using jb weld.... Real simple haha. GTFO

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

you call building up bolt material by using JB weld an easy solution. No one is going to do that on a $$$$ carbon bike. Get real dude.

Trying to increase the diameter equally on a 2 inch bolt using jb weld.... Real simple haha. GTFO

Must be why I suggested a sleeve too...

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
? Why not just switch to a RS 3 piece bushing, or fox 5 pc, those will have the sleaved tube for the shock, just make sure you use RS for a metal shock eyelet & Fox for a DU eyelet bushing. Just figure out outer dia, & inner dia & width.

Either of those RS.or.Fox kits can use a regular bolt & nut. Easy, you're welcome.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
I'm about the same size as you (6'4 and 300lb, give or take depending on the day). The bike that got me back into mtb was a first gen Nomad. Fine to get back into things (and fit the budget at the time), but quickly moved to a Canfield Riot. That was a night and day difference. Suspension platform was awesome and my riding improved a ton with it. Now I'm on a Slayer 29 and again, moving to modern geo and riding and XL that's actually an XL is unbelievable.

I would say get the newest bike with the newest geo you can. Things might be getting a little wild, but for us big dudes, it's been amazing. I'd say the hardest thing has been finding suspension that doesn't blow out. I blew out a CCDB Air on my Canfield and am currently running a Super Deluxe Coil with a 650lb spring on it, but it's still a bit soft. I'm in contact with someone who can make custom weight springs, so will probably be bumping up to a 750lb spring this season.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-shoulder-bolts/metric-alloy-steel-shoulder-screws/

$3.56 and a couple turns on a lathe at the machine shop to get the shoulder to proper diameter and you are good to go. Couple minutes on Google instead of complaining and blaming solves the issue.....

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 11:41 Quote
jsnfschr wrote:
I'm about the same size as you (6'4 and 300lb, give or take depending on the day). The bike that got me back into mtb was a first gen Nomad. Fine to get back into things (and fit the budget at the time), but quickly moved to a Canfield Riot. That was a night and day difference. Suspension platform was awesome and my riding improved a ton with it. Now I'm on a Slayer 29 and again, moving to modern geo and riding and XL that's actually an XL is unbelievable.

I would say get the newest bike with the newest geo you can. Things might be getting a little wild, but for us big dudes, it's been amazing. I'd say the hardest thing has been finding suspension that doesn't blow out. I blew out a CCDB Air on my Canfield and am currently running a Super Deluxe Coil with a 650lb spring on it, but it's still a bit soft. I'm in contact with someone who can make custom weight springs, so will probably be bumping up to a 750lb spring this season.

awesome, theres actually a couple SC nomads for sale not too far from me, and one of them is an xl frame and a 2013 and has someupgraded suspension, and it doesnt look like they change in style a whole lot, and thats my plan as well, just getting a bike to start again and get back into it, then slowly upgrade parts as i go including frame, so the bike will probably be a $5k in the end as long as i use it, ill be ok

also do you like the aluminum frames or carbon? if youve had one or the other

Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
fourfourone wrote:
DHhack wrote:

https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-shoulder-bolts/metric-alloy-steel-shoulder-screws/

$3.56 and a couple turns on a lathe at the machine shop to get the shoulder to proper diameter and you are good to go. Couple minutes on Google instead of complaining and blaming solves the issue.....

That won't work but good try!

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 10:43 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

That won't work but good try!
What won’t work? There are a plethora of readily available options that are similar.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011503
Mobile Version of Website