Meta HT 27.5 x 2.4 Tires?

PB Forum :: Commencal
Meta HT 27.5 x 2.4 Tires?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
Is anyone running 27.5 with 2.4 inch tires on the 2021 Commencal Meta HT? Im curious as to why they sell them with balloon tires (2.8 inch). Im looking to do a custom hardtail build using one of these frames but put on 27.5 inch wheels and run 2.4 inch tires. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
If the Meta ht is 29er Primarily that will also accept 27.5 plus wheels,then when you put smaller tires on it will substantially lower the BB.

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 17:58 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:
If the Meta ht is 29er Primarily that will also accept 27.5 plus wheels,then when you put smaller tires on it will substantially lower the BB.

its advertised as both 29er and 27.5. I actually emailed Commencal and they just got back to me and let me know they recommend at least a 2.6 with 27.5 to avoid pedal strikes. So I guess 2.6 it is!

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 19:49 Quote
Before you buy your tires ,do some research to make sure they are actual 2.6 depending on your rim width. Many are actually undersize . For example my WTB Rangers 2.8 only measure 2.6 on a 35mm internal rim. My WTB Vigilante 2.6 on the other hand measures 2.6 actual. What tires are you planning to use?

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
I just stumbled on this. I'm currently building up a HT with 27.5. I was originally going to grab some 2.4 Highroller II tires I had kicking around for it but now I'm curious if I'll get more pedal strikes. I got 170mm cranks. Ack.

Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 10:06 Quote
Trinimon wrote:
I just stumbled on this. I'm currently building up a HT with 27.5. I was originally going to grab some 2.4 Highroller II tires I had kicking around for it but now I'm curious if I'll get more pedal strikes. I got 170mm cranks. Ack.

Commencal told me they recommend a 2.6 as the minimum for 27.5. Im going to go with 165mm cranks as well though. I also have a 170mm Lyrik I'm going to use. It sits right at the max measurement for axle to crown that the frame allows. So that will raise the bottom bracket as well. I think with all these combined I'll have plenty of clearance from pedal strikes

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
speedy-toast wrote:
Commencal told me they recommend a 2.6 as the minimum for 27.5. Im going to go with 165mm cranks as well though. I also have a 170mm Lyrik I'm going to use. It sits right at the max measurement for axle to crown that the frame allows. So that will raise the bottom bracket as well. I think with all these combined I'll have plenty of clearance from pedal strikes

Cool. Looking forward to hearing your feedback when you get your rides in.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
Well, this tire width thing for 27.5 setup had me curious. A couple guys said tire width wouldn't make much diff in BB height. I found a Bikerader article that said there was a 0.1" increase going from 2.3 to 2.6 on the same rim for a particualr tire brand/model. That's a tiny 2.5mm. I guess every little bit helps in getting more clearance ie longer travel fork, shorter cranks and wider tires.

Posted: Feb 8, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
Trinimon wrote:
Well, this tire width thing for 27.5 setup had me curious. A couple guys said tire width wouldn't make much diff in BB height. I found a Bikerader article that said there was a 0.1" increase going from 2.3 to 2.6 on the same rim for a particualr tire brand/model. That's a tiny 2.5mm. I guess every little bit helps in getting more clearance ie longer travel fork, shorter cranks and wider tires.

Interesting. I would have thought it would have made more of a difference. If its truly so small it probably wouldn't make much of a difference with pedal strikes due to tire width choice alone.

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
speedy-toast wrote:
Is anyone running 27.5 with 2.4 inch tires on the 2021 Commencal Meta HT? Im curious as to why they sell them with balloon tires (2.8 inch). Im looking to do a custom hardtail build using one of these frames but put on 27.5 inch wheels and run 2.4 inch tires. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
. Have 1 and it has 2.6 and it’s fine tbh absolutely rails corners

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 1:52 Quote
speedy-toast wrote:
I run 2.5 and they seem to work pretty good tbh I think you tyre pressure probably makes more of a difference than how big your tyres are off the floor

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
Ooofff wrote:
I run 2.5 and they seem to work pretty good tbh I think you tyre pressure probably makes more of a difference than how big your tyres are off the floor

Hi Ooofff, how much travel are you running on your fork?

I just finished building up my Meta HT. It's only 35mm from the floor to the bottom of the crank arm with a 150mm fork. My NP Reactor is 50mm with 165mm cranks and I get a few odd pedal strikes. I'm guessing I should look at 165 cranks and maybe upping the travel to 160mm? Gonna give it it's first rip this Saturday. Guess I'll find out if I'll be ordering parts (if I can find them in stock!) Saturday night... :p

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Trinimon wrote:
Ooofff wrote:

Hi Ooofff, how much travel are you running on your fork?

I just finished building up my Meta HT. It's only 35mm from the floor to the bottom of the crank arm with a 150mm fork. My NP Reactor is 50mm with 165mm cranks and I get a few odd pedal strikes. I'm guessing I should look at 165 cranks and maybe upping the travel to 160mm? Gonna give it it's first rip this Saturday. Guess I'll find out if I'll be ordering parts (if I can find them in stock!) Saturday night... :p
yeah I’m running 160mm fork 27.5 fork

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Hey guys a little update, been running 2.5 front 2.4 rear, 170mm fork and 165mm cranks. So far it’s been awesome! Perfect setup I think. Although I feel the 165mm cranks are a must for this setup

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
speedy-toast wrote:
Hey guys a little update, been running 2.5 front 2.4 rear, 170mm fork and 165mm cranks. So far it’s been awesome! Perfect setup I think. Although I feel the 165mm cranks are a must for this setup
mm short cranks are good I remember the first time I built it I pedalled into a jump but clipped a rock lost balance and went otb into the lip but I kind of adapted and am aware of the low bb now

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011030
Mobile Version of Website