Favorite tire combos

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 14:38 Quote
Minion DHF and Aggressor

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
ridingrascal wrote:
Minion DHF and Aggressor
i really like the looks of the tread on that Aggressor. Wondering if this DHR I have would make a good FRONT w/that Aggressor on the rear? I've noticed several riders saying they like the DHR on the front too.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 19:08 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
ridingrascal wrote:
Minion DHF and Aggressor
i really like the looks of the tread on that Aggressor. Wondering if this DHR I have would make a good FRONT w/that Aggressor on the rear? I've noticed several riders saying they like the DHR on the front too.

~JSV
I dunno. I typically think of the DHR on the back. The aggressor never really loses grip unless I do a slushy or something

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 21:21 Quote
Well I just got the DHR2 on there. Took it for the quick test ride hoppin' curbs around the block, feels good and holding pressure with my new Stan's orange valves too.

It's funny, it's actually SLIGHTLY more narrow than spec', more like a 2.5, which is desirable. My Butcher up front is clearly a 2.6. I'll be going for a short solo ride in the woods tomorrow and I'll know for sure, but it actually felt like an improvement even just around here on the pavement--can't really tell that way though. If it works out well after a few rides maybe I'll consider just going for the DHF on the front.

I wish there was a proven way to take the darts out and truly patch that Purgatory w/some rubber from the inside enough to hold pressure. I'd rather NOT have to put a tube in it if I want to use it again for any reason.

~JSV

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 21:56 Quote
What's peoples opinion on Assegai vs DHF? I've had both but somewhat far apart. Feel like the assegais draggier?

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 22:47 Quote
Can anyone recommend a front tire for dry Northern Utah riding? Both hard pack or loose sand / dirt conditions, considering the assegai, DHF, DHRII, or any cheaper other brands that compare?

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 13:50 Quote
DanBuchanan wrote:
What's peoples opinion on Assegai vs DHF? I've had both but somewhat far apart. Feel like the assegais draggier?
Well I got a DHR2 (29r) when needed an immediate replacement, love the tire. I went by default I guess to the Assegai WT up front. Have it on a 30mm rim though but to be honest I like it way more than I even thought I would. Wanted to go to 2.4, ended up they had only 2.6, but no issues, and it really works well with different pressure. I run it a tad bit higher (closer to 30) when riding smoother dirt paths xc type riding, and go down a few PSI (around 25ish or under) when out on the nasty stuff in the woods, climbing, going downhill over rocks, roots, loose over hard stuff. Steering on the techy stuff improved. Love the tire.

Depends on your riding of course, right, but I thought I was convinced the DHF wouldn't roll as quick on the lesser tech stuff so that may be why I went w/the Assegai as well. Even rides good on places I've been that have pavement, doesn't feel like it's dragging or too sticky really.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
Dissector front and rear in 2.4 WT currently.

How do you like that combo so far?

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 19:24 Quote
Versus makes a Maxxis style clone (DHR2-ish) that rolls fast, has a robust trail casing that’s about 1,050g and lasts quite a while. Not maxxgrip traction obviously but more than enough for normal riding speeds.

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
DHhack wrote:
Versus makes a Maxxis style clone (DHR2-ish) that rolls fast, has a robust trail casing that’s about 1,050g and lasts quite a while. Not maxxgrip traction obviously but more than enough for normal riding speeds.
Hey those Versus tires look pretty nice. the treads DO resemble the Maxxis tires AND the price looks A LOT better. I could consider trying one of those next time. Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know about those!

~JSV

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
DHhack wrote:
Hey those Versus tires look pretty nice. the treads DO resemble the Maxxis tires AND the price looks A LOT better. I could consider trying one of those next time. Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know about those!

~JSV

No problem. Long term test over at https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Tires,48/Versus/Tires,29864

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
@DHhack - THX, good stuff! I'm liking these tires already.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 14:02 Quote
Been running Versus 2.4 trail casing f/r
Theyer great tires !
My other combo is
DHR 2 2.4 Asagi 2.5

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 13:05 Quote
Running butcher 2.3 grid trail f & r on i29 WTB rims.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 1:06 Quote
I had been running the dhf up front and an aggressor in the rear both 2.3 (had been running 21mm rims at time of purchase but have since switched to 30mm). Loved the dhf but the aggressor left a little to be desired in the grip department. Didn't shed mud or damp soil very well imo, but was pretty good in predictable dry conditions. I tend to value grip more than weight or rolling resistance, so on the advice of my lbs I grabbed some butchers for front and rear. 29x2.6 front and 29x2.3 rear. Won't be trying them until spring but am looking forward to seeing what they offer for the value compared to Maxxis for 2/3 the price

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021930
Mobile Version of Website