Post your Starling
Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 2:47 Quote
It was recommended by TF Tuned.

How do you find the progressive spring?

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 2:51 Quote
fartymarty wrote:

It's seems to be working well and definitely performs better than the various other springs I tried, although none of those were as heavy. When you're off the brakes it's extremely supple, but still drops and jumps well. I paid a fiver and got the J-Tech advanced calculation done, which was then discounted off the price of the spring. I had used a bunch of calculators and worked my way up from a 400, to 450 linear springs.

FWIW - I just did the calculation as well and it came out at 496.

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 3:12 Quote
Was that Seb Stott's spring calculation?

I've used the TF Tuned calculator and mine ends up at about 31% sag - they use 28% for Trail and 33% DH.

It doesn't bottom harshly (the Ohlins bottom out bumper is massive) but maybe a bit too much sag.

militantmandy wrote:
fartymarty wrote:

It's seems to be working well and definitely performs better than the various other springs I tried, although none of those were as heavy. When you're off the brakes it's extremely supple, but still drops and jumps well. I paid a fiver and got the J-Tech advanced calculation done, which was then discounted off the price of the spring. I had used a bunch of calculators and worked my way up from a 400, to 450 linear springs.

FWIW - I just did the calculation as well and it came out at 496.

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 3:17 Quote
Yes it was the Seb calc at 28%

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 3:29 Quote
Ohlins rear shock? (not that it overly matters)

militantmandy wrote:

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 3:33 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
Ohlins rear shock? (not that it overly matters)

militantmandy wrote:

No, it's a CC DB IL.

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 6:15 Quote
Second the progressive spring. I don’t think i would go back to regular ones. Im 88 KG / 195lbz and run the 300-550 or there about. Super smooth and still haven’t buried it.

My issues with standard ones were always running them on the softer side for the supple but always slamming it home if I happened to feel froggy. No more changing coils for the riding terrain.

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Second the progressive spring. I don’t think i would go back to regular ones. Im 88 KG / 195lbz and run the 300-550 or there about. Super smooth and still haven’t buried it.

My issues with standard ones were always running them on the softer side for the supple but always slamming it home if I happened to feel froggy. No more changing coils for the riding terrain.

Thanks, may give it a go.

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 1:28 Quote
After a going down the spring rabbit hole a little further i've got the following...

Kitted up weight = 100kg.

EXT - recommend 28%, 30% and 33% sag with spring rates of 600, 550 and 500 respectively.

Ohlins - recommend 30% sag as a starting point and gives a spring rate of 571.

TF use 28FR and 33DH (average = 30.5% with 546.4)

I'm going to try a 650 (cheap off ebay) and 600 and see where I get to but think the 550 I have is bang on.

Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 6:40 Quote
Glad I found this forum! Took ownership of my Swoop Trail October 2021. Living in MN I have spent most of my time on the fat bike since then but have been able to take this rig out to Moab and Sedona. Not a bad way to give it a shake down!

I am loving this bike so far. Suspension feels very balanced now. Had too light of a spring in the fork at first but now it is dialed, no more diving. Ability to change rear spring rate has been great for going between local trails and downhill focused days such as the Whole Enchilada.
Starling Swoop. Sedona Ridge Trail

Starling Swoop Trail.
140mm rear, 160mm front
Rockshox Superdeluxe Coil with sprindex spring.
Lyric with Push coil conversion.

Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 12:50 Quote
That's one tidy looking Swoop. Straight to favs with that one.

Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
Very nice.

Slapped a 160 Yari on the murmur for dh shuttles tomorrow. My dh is over the mountains from me at my folks place so we’ll see what this badboy can do!

Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 12:53 Quote
I'm on 140/140 coils on my Murmur and really liking it. Still super capable but less monstertrucky than 160/140.

Sterling - as they say in the acting business "break a leg" or maybe in your case - DON'T

Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 16:44 Quote
Well that answered that question...techy DH shuttles are no problem for the murmur. This bike continues to impress me with every challenge it faces.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010747
Mobile Version of Website