Powered by Outside

Packing tools / supplies on ‘21 Stumpy Evo w/ SWAT

PB Forum :: Specialized
Packing tools / supplies on ‘21 Stumpy Evo w/ SWAT

Author Message
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
I recently picked up a ‘21 Stumpjumper Evo and I’m trying to figure out best way to pack tools, etc. For rides under 2-3 hours I don’t like to carry anything. I stuffed a tube in the SWAT box. The swat tool on the water bottle cage is great however I still feel the need for a chain break tool (they’ve come in handy in the past). I put my OneUp EDC pump on the water bottle cage. I took out the CO2 cartridge and inflator piece from swat bag as they were bouncing everywhere. I have a couple zip ties, tire levers, $20, and various master links.
Do you ride with a small master link tool such as the Wolftooth or OneUp? If I get the OneUp it comes with bacon strips and tire plug which fits in the 100cc EDC pump that I have.

My questions are basically:
What do you pack in the bike?
Do you think a chain break and master link tool is overkill? Topeak, Lezyne, or other chain break tools? My other multi tools have them built in.
Any light tube recommendations? Tubolito looks great and is tiny but I’ll probably help a random person out before using it myself and that’s an expensive tube.

Posted: May 24, 2021 at 22:53 Quote
bandit350 wrote:
I recently picked up a ‘21 Stumpjumper Evo and I’m trying to figure out best way to pack tools, etc. For rides under 2-3 hours I don’t like to carry anything. I stuffed a tube in the SWAT box. The swat tool on the water bottle cage is great however I still feel the need for a chain break tool (they’ve come in handy in the past). I put my OneUp EDC pump on the water bottle cage. I took out the CO2 cartridge and inflator piece from swat bag as they were bouncing everywhere. I have a couple zip ties, tire levers, $20, and various master links.
Do you ride with a small master link tool such as the Wolftooth or OneUp? If I get the OneUp it comes with bacon strips and tire plug which fits in the 100cc EDC pump that I have.

My questions are basically:
What do you pack in the bike?
Do you think a chain break and master link tool is overkill? Topeak, Lezyne, or other chain break tools? My other multi tools have them built in.
Any light tube recommendations? Tubolito looks great and is tiny but I’ll probably help a random person out before using it myself and that’s an expensive tube.
I really like to try to bring some form of first aid. when I don't have much room I'll just throw in basic stuff like a few bandaids, maybe a roll of gauze and a nonstick gauze pad.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 7:25 Quote
Got a 21 Evo also. I put a tube/co2/inflator/tirelever in the swat bag in the box. The tool on the water bottle cage is plenty. While historically it was great to have, I've never needed it on a modern 12spd non-E bike (ebike is a different story).

I can the water bladder and 1 snack bar in the swat box along with the tube bag. Then one other water bottle on the cage. That gets me through 2-3 hour rides no problem. For reference I'm on an S5. Small size will logically have less room in the DT.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
I have a 2020 SJ Evo Pro, probably slightly smaller SWAT box on these than you 21, I have in it:

First aid kit small enough to cram down near the BB, has all the basics and still in its bag it came in. Just took all the unnecessary plastic wrappers on things that didn't need them to reduce bulk and crammed it down there. Tight fit but not bad.

SWAT toolwrap with tubolito tube because its smaller, cable ties and other small consumables that fit in it, push that up toward the handlebars

On top of toolwrap, a rolled up POC shell jacket incase it rains or is cold. This is by far the best and most used item. So good having a jacket to put on if conditions change. You do have to roll it in a special way to get it to fit but not brain surgery.

I'm then left with something that still looks like an empty SWAT (challenge accepted) so I jam that full of snacks, asthma meds and anything else small enough to get in there. No empty space is allowed.

Yes doing this makes it a pain to get something out but by far outweighs having to carry a backpack to take that gear. Its always in there and I never take it out. Don't see it as unnecessary weight either. Id rather it down low than on my back.

For multitool, I just have the SWAT tool in the steerer. Covers everything I need. If you check your bike before every ride like me, then you'll probably use it half a dozen times in a year like me. Aliens or anything that is as big as your hand just means you need to improve your preventative maintenance IMO.

Pump is a Oneup 100 on the bottle cage with plugger and chainlink tool inside as well as CO2 canister on end. Just leave plug spike inside the storage tube. so you can take both.

Genius idea by Specialized. I think I will buy my next bike based on it having storage in the downtube.

If you pack the SWAT tight enough, you don't get rattles.

To figure out how to pack it all, do what I did: Lay it all out on the floor, grab a beer, try stuffing it all in there, swear a few times, grab another beer, try it another way, almost get it all in apart from one item, decide if you can do without it, decide your better than that and grab another beer and have one last go. Fit it all in and then sit there looking at it feeling like the man while also being amazed how much crap you just fit inside the downtube of a bike.

Key tip, 3 beers or it wont work. Must be lubrication or something...

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.074859
Mobile Version of Website