YT Postman any good?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
YT Postman any good?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 3:43 Quote
I was waiting for YT Izzo pro race (Core 4) to show up on the web site and I was disapointed to see yesterday that their top of the line bikes are now equiped with a YT Postman dropper post. I expected a Core 4 to be equiped with a top of the line dropper post like a Fox Transfer.

What is your experience with YT Postman ? Witch company makes the Dropper post for YT Industries ?

Before the pandemic, one of my friend has tried a couple of YT bikes on a demo day and all the YT Postman dropper post among the demo fleet were not working properly. I don't know if the problem was related to the dropper post itself or the remote.

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
I like mine so far. But I have no experience with others. I believe SDG makes it.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
I've had mine for a year and it works, that's about all I've got to say about it. Never used any others but I'd imagine they work nicer than this one. Got to sit on the seat in the right spot for it to go down, I changed the lever to the wolf tooth one as well which is better than the yt lever and fitted to my brake lever with the match maker thing. I wouldn't let it put you off the bike but obviously someone who's used different droppers would be best to compare

Posted: Sep 25, 2022 at 10:42 Quote
I have a 22 Jeffsy CF. I finally took the post out of the seat tube. Apparently there's a screw type mechanism at the bottom and the screw backed itself out. I don't know if this is going to be an ongoing problem but it was definitely the cause of the dropper post dropping and not returning. I hope the situation doesn't pop up again. The post is stock, YT Postman.

The new bike/seat post has 180MI on it.

SDG makes the post. Not super beautiful functional if the screw wouldn't have backed out.

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2022 at 0:28 Quote
My 150mm YT Postman on my 2020 Decoy has been great aside from the remote. I had to replace the remote with a Wolftooth within 4 months after the screw stripped out and was unable to secure the cable.

The action is still more smooth and consistent than my OneUp V2 210mm I have on my other bike honestly.

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
Tommy-P87 wrote:
I've had mine for a year and it works, that's about all I've got to say about it. Never used any others but I'd imagine they work nicer than this one. Got to sit on the seat in the right spot for it to go down, I changed the lever to the wolf tooth one as well which is better than the yt lever and fitted to my brake lever with the match maker thing. I wouldn't let it put you off the bike but obviously someone who's used different droppers would be best to compare

If you notice that you need to "sit in the right spot for it to go down" more than usual, it could be time for a little service.

The easy one (which I do regularly, way more often than the 120hrs recommended by SDG) involves just removing the collar, cleaning the stanchion and putting some suspension grease (Slickoleum is perfect for the job) by the upper bushing, then re-fitting the collar.

The more elaborate one (which I do once a year) requires you to remove the dropper from the bike and take it apart, so you can properly clean and regrease the lower bushing (at the bottom of the stanchion). It's actually very easy to do, and it's also a good opportunity to check and replace the plastic keys, if your seat has too much rotational play. A new keyset is only $5.50 on the SDG website, but you can make things better by simply removing the existing keys and reinstalling them rotated 180degrees, as they wear mostly where they slide in the tube. By rotating them, you put the dull edges toward the stanchion, and the sharp ones against the tube. More difficult to describe than to do it...

Here's the link to some good resources from SDG: https://sdgcomponents.com/pages/support

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2022 at 13:07 Quote
I know this will make me sound like a weight weenie (guilty as charged), but just curious if anyone knows the actual weight of the YT postman dropper?

Looking to get an IZZO and I'm thinking of replacing the dropper right away with something I know is light weight, but want to make sure there's a sizeable difference between the two before making the effort (and expense) to do so.

Posted: Dec 17, 2022 at 6:56 Quote
snarkyswag wrote:
I know this will make me sound like a weight weenie (guilty as charged), but just curious if anyone knows the actual weight of the YT postman dropper?

Just took off this 150mm postman and weighed it. It says 580 grams not sure how accurate the scale is.

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2022 at 20:25 Quote
snarkyswag wrote:

Looking to get an IZZO and I'm thinking of replacing the dropper right away with something I know is light weight, but want to make sure there's a sizeable difference between the two before making the effort (and expense) to do so.

The dropper is matched to the frame size (from 100mm to 170mm drop), so you should take that into consideration as I assume the weight will also change accordingly. It might be easier (and more accurate) for you to weigh your own dropper once you get the Izzo, and then decide if it's really worth the upgrade.

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 9:54 Quote
120CCPM wrote:

If you notice that you need to "sit in the right spot for it to go down" more than usual, it could be time for a little service.

The easy one (which I do regularly, way more often than the 120hrs recommended by SDG) involves just removing the collar, cleaning the stanchion and putting some suspension grease (Slickoleum is perfect for the job) by the upper bushing, then re-fitting the collar.

The more elaborate one (which I do once a year) requires you to remove the dropper from the bike and take it apart, so you can properly clean and regrease the lower bushing (at the bottom of the stanchion). It's actually very easy to do, and it's also a good opportunity to check and replace the plastic keys, if your seat has too much rotational play. A new keyset is only $5.50 on the SDG website, but you can make things better by simply removing the existing keys and reinstalling them rotated 180degrees, as they wear mostly where they slide in the tube. By rotating them, you put the dull edges toward the stanchion, and the sharp ones against the tube. More difficult to describe than to do it...
Sorry to revive the old thread...
Have had my Capra with this Seatpost for 6 months now, I'm starting to feel a bit of play in the post and the dropper is a bit finicky at times. I'm 100% guilty of clamping my bike by the seatpost when working on it so i assume this is a problem from that
For my first service, which tools would I actually need?
I assume I'll need to get a strap wrench, but if all I'm doing is replacing the keys, would I need anything else like the locknut tool?
Unfortunately just a set of the keys is out of stock here in the UK, but would it be worth buying the full bushing assembly, am i likely to need to replace the keys and/or the lower bushing? https://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/SPARES/Seatposts-Saddles/SDG09530_SDG-Tellis-Seatpost-Seal-Collar-Bushing-amp-Keyway-Assembly-34-d-9mm
In the service guide, for the full service, it mentions a "Tellis cartridge service tool" But all i see on the website is this https://www.silverfish-uk.com/manufacturer/SDG/SPARES/Seatposts-Saddles/SDG09494_SDG-Tellis-Seatpost-Lock-Nut-Tool
Anything else I'm missing?

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 17:09 Quote
A bit of play is normal. As I mentioned above, if you can't find a pair of replacement keys, you might be able to improve the situation by simply turning the keys inside-out, as they tend to wear out only on the outside. No need for any specialized tool to do this job, as you don't have to remove the actuator from the cartridge in order to remove the cartridge itself from the post. Same for the strap, you should be able to loosen the collar by hand.

As for the "finicky" part, you'll get much smoother operation from your dropper if you periodically lubricate the internal bushings... the "120 Hours Service" literally takes 5 minutes as you don't need to remove the dropper from the bike: loosen the collar, expose the bushings, clean and coat everything with a bit of grease (Slickoleum or suspension grease, not generic grease!) and you're done.

Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 14:46 Quote
Thought I would add this to the YT Postman thread. The anodizing on the back of my post has worn off, and I'm pretty religious about lubricating the bushing in my post. I have about 4000 miles / 3 summers of riding on the bike and I use the dropper quite a bit. The performance of the post has not been effected though, and I cannot feel any wear on the post. Not sure if this is a common type of wear for dropper posts in general.

photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011758
Mobile Version of Website