DHF or High roller for rear?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
DHF or High roller for rear?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
I've tried Michelin and Vittoria and am not looking to repeat either. Going to go back to maxxis in a DD casing and am debating between these two? For anyone who has ridden both on the rear was one easier to pedal than the other? That's honestly my main concern. Any other likes or dislikes are appreciated too. Ride mostly black DH and bike park.

Cheers.

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 20:42 Quote
Can't really say which of the two is faster as rear...neither is fast rolling.

HR2 has better braking IMHO, mostly due to centre knob orientation and the spacing between them. This is especially true in loose or muddy conditions. For steep trails I'd pick this one out of the two.

DHF has longer, narrower knobs that don't present much braking surface. It could, in theory pedal a bit faster as it's only the centre knobs that touch the ground, but that will depend on rubber compound and air pressure too.

Maybe look into the Dissector if you want a gravity tyre with less rolling resistance?

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 21:27 Quote
Haven't tried a DHF rear but I did try a High Roller and it felt like it was a real slow grind up climbs. Sticking with the tried and true dual compound DHR2 rear

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 22:00 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Haven't tried a DHF rear but I did try a High Roller and it felt like it was a real slow grind up climbs. Sticking with the tried and true dual compound DHR2 rear

In my mind DHR2 would be slower rolling than DHF but I'm not sure I've run either in the back. Sounds like High roller will make me sad. If anyone has run DHR compared to DHF in the back and can comment that would be great. I'll obviously be running maxterra not max grip.

justwan-naride wrote:
Can't really say which of the two is faster as rear...neither is fast rolling.

HR2 has better braking IMHO, mostly due to centre knob orientation and the spacing between them. This is especially true in loose or muddy conditions. For steep trails I'd pick this one out of the two.

DHF has longer, narrower knobs that don't present much braking surface. It could, in theory pedal a bit faster as it's only the centre knobs that touch the ground, but that will depend on rubber compound and air pressure too.

Maybe look into the Dissector if you want a gravity tyre with less rolling resistance?

Thanks for the feedback. I actually did try a dissector when I got my new ride when they were only available in EXO, and the capability of my new ride meant I punctured it beyond repair immediately. I remember it having good pedaling performance and a total lack of braking traction, but everything is a compromise! It looks like I'm leaning towards trying the DHF and if I don't want to pedal that then it'll be back to dissector. I love riding bikes but I'm not a fitness junkie and every ride is 450-600m of vertical so I'm willing to give up a bit of braking traction if it means it's a bit easier to get to the fun bit!

Now if only they hadn't hidden the fun bit at the top of a mountain lol

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 5:00 Quote
I use a dhr II on my Sentinel, all year round, summer or winter it just works.
I ll trade to take a couple of minutes more on the climb stuff, and have the grip on steep moisty gnar on the down.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 8:56 Quote
Pyres wrote:
I use a dhr II on my Sentinel, all year round, summer or winter it just works.
I ll trade to take a couple of minutes more on the climb stuff, and have the grip on steep moisty gnar on the down.

That's not helpful. I'm well aware that the DHR2 is great on the way down.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
UGH!! On closer inspection you cannot but the DHF or Dissector in DD maxterra 2.5 x 27.5. You know the combo someone would want to run on a back tire. I guess this means I don't have a choice but to pedal a DHR or go back to Michelin. Well this sucks....

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 17:36 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
I've tried Michelin and Vittoria and am not looking to repeat either. Going to go back to maxxis in a DD casing and am debating between these two? For anyone who has ridden both on the rear was one easier to pedal than the other? That's honestly my main concern. Any other likes or dislikes are appreciated too. Ride mostly black DH and bike park.

Cheers.

Aggressor?

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 17:49 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:

Cheers.

Aggressor?

That one I did try in the past and found that it was too much of a compromise for my style of riding, as in not enough grip. I realize I'm acting like goldilocks and looking for the just right bowl of porridge. I caved and ordered a DHR2 in DD MaxxTerra. If I end up hating it I'll just keep it for bike park days and I'll have to look at going with something like Dissector in Exo+ with an insert as that seems to be the only other direction for me to go in.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 20:33 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
That one I did try in the past and found that it was too much of a compromise for my style of riding, as in not enough grip. I realize I'm acting like goldilocks and looking for the just right bowl of porridge. I caved and ordered a DHR2 in DD MaxxTerra. If I end up hating it I'll just keep it for bike park days and I'll have to look at going with something like Dissector in Exo+ with an insert as that seems to be the only other direction for me to go in.

Just curious, where did your disdain for the DHR2 come from? Lol. Tried and true rear tire!

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 20:48 Quote
LoL I actually had to go back and confirm that I did in fact use the tire in the past and wasn't just working off a preconceived notion. Old bike:
photo

When I switched from that to an aggressor it felt like I had gone from pedaling through beach sand to riding on asphalt. Basically I'm super lazy and having to climb 500m of vertical with a tire that sucks up my pedaling energy makes me not want to ride some days.

The aggressor didn't have near enough grip though. From there, so I always used to be able to run exo casings but when I got my new bike (Bronson) put an exo Dissector on it and with the added capability I drove the rim through the casing within 2 rides. Since then I've run a Michelin Wild Enduro which was great on the downs but steals 1/3 of every pedal stroke on the way up. I've had it explained to me that these traits largely come down to rebound in the rubber. Lots of rebound means it drives you forward but no braking traction and vice versa. As long as the DHR2 isn't worse than the Wild Enduro for pedaling performance i'll live with it. But yeah basically I'm freaking lazy and hate climbing lol.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.105764
Mobile Version of Website