Montana Thread

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 11:29 Quote
I've asked around at a few shops and almost every time I get this massive amount of hate towards anyone who doesn't ride XC. It's ridiculous and makes me hate living here sometimes. I have nothing against XC, but I would much rather ride downhill and hit some big features than just be going uphill 90% of the time.

Mod
Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 15:59 Quote
durza11 wrote:
I've asked around at a few shops and almost every time I get this massive amount of hate towards anyone who doesn't ride XC. It's ridiculous and makes me hate living here sometimes. I have nothing against XC, but I would much rather ride downhill and hit some big features than just be going uphill 90% of the time.
Hit up Larson at bike source. He rides everything. He and I used to go "free riding" all the time. He still does full on dh. As do a few of my old friends from big sky bikes.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 17:01 Quote
Will do. He sounds like a good guy.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 21:45 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
There used to be some stuff in Patty Canyon, and also try and check in with Chris Wimmer. He used to have stuff on some property of his in the rattlesnake area, not too far from the trailhead. Deep Creek was always fun, but it never seemed to last long, too many dudes on motos or folks tearing things up.

Most folks I know who build now have found agreements with friends who have substantial plots of land. Some are reasonable, some are completely against a trail on their property.

Not to seem like a debbie downer but... Chris winner lives in utah now tho. . And the jumps outside his moms old house were dozed. As far as all the stuff up deer creek behind patty, it allegedly was also found and removed.

Posted: Apr 8, 2014 at 21:53 Quote
God damn why do people hate us. I get that the forest service doesn't want us building trails but you'd think that they would at least build some sanctioned trails.

Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 4:21 Quote
durza11 wrote:
God damn why do people hate us. I get that the forest service doesn't want us building trails but you'd think that they would at least build some sanctioned trails.

Local riders need to band together and start advocating for land and trails.

Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 11:39 Quote
We've been doing that for a long time and nothing's working. The people here just don't care I guess Confused

Mod
Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 13:13 Quote
durza11 wrote:
We've been doing that for a long time and nothing's working. The people here just don't care I guess Confused
Part of it is that MT has a much larger horseback/hiking community. Another issue is said parties also play a bigger role in funding/lobbying for land use. It's not for lack of trying, it's an uphill battle...

Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 18:10 Quote
That makes sense I guess. There just isn't a big enough community here to grow the sport, which kills the sport since there's nothing for potential riders to really ride.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2014 at 12:18 Quote
Hey everyone, I typically ride Big Sky DH but it looks like those trails may not be open until the middle of july due to the large snowpack. I have been searching for a downhill/freeride trail that is semi dry maybe in Bozeman? Anyone have any advice? Looking back into this thread I keep seeing deep creek pop up could I get some details on that?

Thanks for the help

Mod
Posted: May 3, 2014 at 17:49 Quote
snowedout wrote:
Hey everyone, I typically ride Big Sky DH but it looks like those trails may not be open until the middle of july due to the large snowpack. I have been searching for a downhill/freeride trail that is semi dry maybe in Bozeman? Anyone have any advice? Looking back into this thread I keep seeing deep creek pop up could I get some details on that?

Thanks for the help
Deep creek is in Msla, we used to build a ton out there. Appears to have gone through a revival. What are you wanting to know? I can put you in contact with the Missoula folks that started it and still ride there.

Sorry, no help on bozetown...

Posted: May 3, 2014 at 19:56 Quote
Just rode deep creek today. There's a few of the secret lines that are amazing right now Wink
The main trail is blown out and garbage as always, a few of the better known B-lines are okayish, if you don't mind going a bit slower. It's really all about going up there with someone who knows the trail.

Posted: Jun 17, 2014 at 12:07 Quote
Hey guys! I live in okc ATM but have lived in Texas most of my life but ill be moving to Casper or billings here in a couple weeks and really want to get on some dh I've road single track and x most of my life and I just want to go fast and hit some big stuff. I've never really had a chance to with where I've lived most of my life. Is there a big dh scene up in this area?

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 13:58 Quote
Big Sky says they will open June 25 now instead of this Saturday. Let's hope it happens, they keep having to push it back.

Posted: Jun 22, 2014 at 22:24 Quote
We keep getting snow in Zootown. Snowbowl still can't open. Not that it matters considering that I sold my mtb.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.294462
Mobile Version of Website