Broken/ snapped Fox sls spring

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Broken/ snapped Fox sls spring
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
Hi. I am just after advice.

I snapped my fox sls spring yesterday on a mild jump (no case, smooth but maybe heavy landing).

Anyways I am after a new spring and I am after some knowledge on why this may have occurred so I can try avoid purchasing another that may break.

The only thing I can think of is that the spring was too light for me. I am 170lbs(77 kgs) running a 450lb (spring calculators say I should be running a 500lb+).

I should mention I purchased the fox sls used but was told it had minimal use.

Please help. Thanks for your replies in advanced.

Pics and specs below.

Stumpjumper 2017 fsr carbon.
Marzocchi bomber cr 7.5 x 2
Fox sls 450x2.25 spring
Bikeyoke sj02

photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 20:38 Quote
Is it possible the spring has fouled on itself? i.e. as its compresses, the coil bottoms out into itself before the shock actually bottoms out? Basically your bike turns into a hardtail and the spring wears all the force as it has nowhere to go.

If the new spring was a lot shorter than original, could be a possibility. You should also be able to see if its smashed into itself. Would have done it with a lot of force to snap the lowest section so there would defiantly be some marking on the coil above the broken part.

If its correct length or it cant physically bottom out on itself, hard to say what it was other than wear on the spring. Use may not have been that minimal... they don't last forever. Getting the correct springrate replacement would be a good start. Perhaps a non SLS spring as well. There is always tradeoffs with "lightweight" parts. Strength is usually what you lose.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010829
Mobile Version of Website