Budget Full Suspension recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Budget Full Suspension recommendations
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 13:11 Quote
Hey all. I've ridden a norco wolverine for the last 15 years or so. I've decided to move up to a full suspension. I'm no pro and ride mainly trails. I also have a budget of about 4 grand Canadian to spend (adding taxes to that on top of the 4 grand). With that in mind I'm looking for some opinions. The bikes I can easily get (pending shipping so like next spring) are specialized, giant, and trek. Norco is also available but the shop cannot guarantee any shipping dates or timelines for norcos. Ive been looking at the Giant trance x 2, specialized comp alloy, and the trek fuel ex 5 or 7. I'm leaning towards the giant as it has a fox 36 rhythm which I've read can go to a grip 2 damper, which is attractive as I tend to be hard on suspension. But what I've read, the specialized is a sweet ride. But will I end up regretting the smaller fox 34 rhythm, I don't know. As for the treks, I really don't know much about them. I also like the giants component package is a bit beefier too. All this to say, looking for any input from people who have experience on these bikes, and if anyone has anything else to recommend, I'm all ears.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 3:51 Quote
Your general location and local terrain may be a valuable factor in providing recommendations.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 14:02 Quote
maxxx wrote:
Your general location and local terrain may be a valuable factor in providing recommendations.

Manitoba. Pembina valley area. Mostly single track, packed trails. Nothing huge.

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
friesen-brett wrote:
maxxx wrote:

Manitoba. Pembina valley area. Mostly single track, packed trails. Nothing huge.

Greetings fellow flatlander! (last name should have been a giveaway haha)

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
I'd select the Giant. The bike and the price is right especially considering the quality of the components. Good value.

Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
I am a giant fan as well, usually get more bang for buck vs the other big brands while still getting good LBS support. The only downside is that if you change bikes often the other big brands tend to hold their value better.

Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 6:47 Quote
If you can find one, the Devinci Marshall is well below the stated budget and would allow for some upgrades (perhaps start with fork and brakes). The Troy is also great bang for the buck and gets you 10mm more suspension travel.

Given the prairie location I would think a mid travel bike is beyond adequate. I grew up in Winnipeg just riding urban, park and dirt jumps on a dirt jumper and trials bike. I've been in Newfoundland for 11 years now but I'm seeing several bike parks popping up around MB. I can't imagine them required anything too serious to ride though.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 14:36 Quote
If you are at all into maintenance I would go with a direct to consumer bike and get better parts for the money. I got a Vitus from CRC and have had 0 problems with with, but I really like to turn bolts. If you're not into working on your bike and those really are your options, I have heard really good things about the giant, and they seem to be a pretty good value. Let us know what you end up getting man! Happy trails those are all sick bikes.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
I had the Trance X, Fuel EX and Stumpjumper Alloy all on my list of potential bikes. The only bike that was available locally last fall through this spring was the Fuel Ex, but I didn’t pull the trigger on it. This spring my local shop got an order of Norco Fluid FS in, and I got the FS1. I love the bikes. I ride in Northeast United States (Connecticut) and the bike handles every trail I’ve thrown at it so far.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the choices above.

FL
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 4:02 Quote
Specialized status is hard to beat at its price

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
If you ride in Pembina Valley area, not sure how Close you are to Winkler? Country Cycle sells Rocky Mountain and I've been loving my 2021 Instinct. Personally have an A50, but the A30 would be an option you could look at given your price range.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015739
Mobile Version of Website