Cassette upgrade from Shimano 12s Deore - SLX or XT

PB Forum :: Shimano
Cassette upgrade from Shimano 12s Deore - SLX or XT
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2021 at 11:01 Quote
So i was able to score an SLX and XT 12s cassette from REI. I would like to know which one is better for durability and long term, either SLX or XT. I may also just stick to my Deore since it's all steel but since im upgrading chain and derailer to XT, i thought about doing the cassette as well.

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 13:46 Quote
i had my 11spd xt cassette for 4 years... 3 chains. standard stuff. it was super tight and i made a dent in the spline at approx sprocket 9 due to the force to release the cassette.
and when i put an slx cassette on, one gear at sprocket 9 had a click now and then like it was not adjusted while all the others sprockets were 'butter'.
i sold the bike so cannot compare slx durability to the xt.

if you can afford it i would not hesitate at xt based on my experience.

im just saying to distribute the force when releasing your casette. maybe a bike mechanic can advise how to do this.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 19:50 Quote
Dknight3 wrote:
So i was able to score an SLX and XT 12s cassette from REI. I would like to know which one is better for durability and long term, either SLX or XT. I may also just stick to my Deore since it's all steel but since im upgrading chain and derailer to XT, i thought about doing the cassette as well.

In the new 12 speed shimano drive trains the cassettes only difference is weight. The Xt has 2 aluminum cogs (the black rings) in comparison to the slx with 1 and deore with none. The steel cogs are the same as the aluminum but heavier. The thing is the steel are also more durable so the Deore will last longer. If I were you I would spend the money on an XT shifter if you dont already have one and stay with Deore for cassette and chain. The xt shifter action is noticeably better than Deore and SLx.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
ptrcarson wrote:
Dknight3 wrote:

In the new 12 speed shimano drive trains the cassettes only difference is weight. The Xt has 2 aluminum cogs (the black rings) in comparison to the slx with 1 and deore with none. The steel cogs are the same as the aluminum but heavier. The thing is the steel are also more durable so the Deore will last longer. If I were you I would spend the money on an XT shifter if you dont already have one and stay with Deore for cassette and chain. The xt shifter action is noticeably better than Deore and SLx.

That's exactly what i did in the end..upgraded to XT Derailer, Chain, & shifter. I kept Deore cassette for durability.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009528
Mobile Version of Website