Powered by Outside

Help with first full suspension trail/all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help with first full suspension trail/all mountain bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 6:01 Quote
I have been riding hard tails my whole life and decided to finally make the leap over to a full suspension trail bike. My current bike is a 2013 Specialized Carve expert 29er. I have been researching a lot over the last few weeks but need to make a final decision. I live in a fairly flat area with good singletrack, but do travel for some more aggressive trials. I want this bike to be a joy to ride. I usually trail ride 1-2x a week but also ride with wife and kids and want to make sure it’s still a fun bike for family rides. I have narrowed down to:
2020 Santa Cruz 5010 alloy “D” spec (27.5) - 3800$ (M)
2021 Commencal Meta TR 29r Origin (L) - 3800$
2019 YT Jeffsy pro 29r (M) - 4500$

Prices in CAD $$

All bikes are in “like new” condition and are local. Frame sizes shown. I am 5’9 & 165lb.
Obviously the YT is full carbon frame, while the other two are aluminum. The YT is spec’d better but the oldest as a ‘19.
Please let me know your experience with these bikes and things to look out for.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
You're not a large so scrap the commencal and the SC comes with pretty bargain basement suspension. If you're riding trails that test your skill level it doesn't matter how great of a frame you have if the suspension is terrifying to ride. Jeffsy seems like the best deal just make sure to check real good that there is no damage or cracks anywhere in the carbon or you've basically bought a paper weight.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
You're not a large so scrap the commencal and the SC comes with pretty bargain basement suspension. If you're riding trails that test your skill level it doesn't matter how great of a frame you have if the suspension is terrifying to ride. Jeffsy seems like the best deal just make sure to check real good that there is no damage or cracks anywhere in the carbon or you've basically bought a paper weight.

The commencal site says L is for 5’8-6’2. I like the jeffsy but it is the pricier of the 3 and not sure I would be into the candy red frame for years to come.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
I am super biased because I like shorter bikes but IMO 490mm reach would be a crazy large bike for someone of your height. Others may disagree. I'm 6'0 and that bike would be on the long side for me.

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 13:53 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
I am super biased because I like shorter bikes but IMO 490mm reach would be a crazy large bike for someone of your height. Others may disagree. I'm 6'0 and that bike would be on the long side for me.

I took the SC 5010 out today and it felt smooth but short. I assume it’s from riding a pure xc bike for the last 7 years ? I think it’s worth test riding the longer commencal. Do these new aggressive geometry’s take a bit to get use to ?

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 17:07 Quote
Of the years you posted M 5010 is pretty small at 437mm reach. SC isn't known for providing value in their component selection either, you're paying for the brand and design. M Jeffsy is 450mm reach and definitely a more capable descender with a way better fork. L Commencal is 490mm reach, a full 4cm longer.

Ultimately sizing is a personal decision. I like a bit smaller bike so at 6'0 I'm on a L V3 Bronson with 455mm reach and a 50mm stem but that would be on the small size for most people my height by about 2-3cm. Smaller bikes also work better with a more upright riding position (higher bars), something most pro riders seem to also recommend. YMMV.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.050523
Mobile Version of Website