Hub motor and spokes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hub motor and spokes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 13:00 Quote
Hi, I bought a new 26 rim for hub motor wheel, and I use the same spokes and nipples from my previous 26 rim. But the spokes not good for a new rim, they around 3mm out of nipples. I do not understand why like that? It is mean the Rim have different holes or something?

Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
paulhawai wrote:
Hi, I bought a new 26 rim for hub motor wheel, and I use the same spokes and nipples from my previous 26 rim. But the spokes not good for a new rim, they around 3mm out of nipples. I do not understand why like that? It is mean the Rim have different holes or something?

If the new rim you bought isn't exactly the same as the old one (same model), then it's got a different effective rim diameter, or ERD, so your old spokes won't be the right length. You're gonna need new spokes, I'm afraid.

This explains it well - https://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/measuring-effective-rim-diameter

Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 13:44 Quote
Oh, you right my previous ERD 525 now I have ERD 534, I really didn't know that, feels bad. Is there a change to figure how much mm more spokes I need? My previous ERD 525 had 160mm. Is there any easy calculation?

Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
Online calculator show me that I need around 164.2mm spokes. So 164mm to risk to buy, can be little-bit to small. So if I buy 165mm should be not a problem 0.8mm right? As it is anyway double rim

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008086
Mobile Version of Website