Powered by Outside

Maybe moving CO to TN (Chatt)

PB Forum :: USA - East
Maybe moving CO to TN (Chatt)

Author Message
Posted: Feb 24, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
We are contemplating moving from CO to TN and were just in TN checking out the area (lot search, nothing fun)

We were not terribly impressed with the lack of outdoor activities done in the Chatt culture, but hoping we were just in the wrong areas for that.

Right now, I have a nice interval type of loops to put together a 16-26 mile ride only 11 mins from our home.

I did look on MTB project, but would like to know from some locals on the MTB scene in Chatt.

For a reference and those familiar with CO trails. I mainly ride Indian Creek, Buffalo Creek or Deer Creek depending on the mood to deal with crowds. Apex or Golden Gate sometimes, but those are very crowded.

Obviously there are no extended climbs in TN like there are in CO, but I am curious if there is comparable fun riding within 60-90 mins of Chatt.

We are considering moving for reasons outside of MTB, but that is still on the list of things I would like to enjoy (one reason we are not moving to DFW).

Posted: Feb 24, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
pbmo wrote:
We are contemplating moving from CO to TN and were just in TN checking out the area (lot search, nothing fun)

We were not terribly impressed with the lack of outdoor activities done in the Chatt culture, but hoping we were just in the wrong areas for that.

Right now, I have a nice interval type of loops to put together a 16-26 mile ride only 11 mins from our home.

I did look on MTB project, but would like to know from some locals on the MTB scene in Chatt.

For a reference and those familiar with CO trails. I mainly ride Indian Creek, Buffalo Creek or Deer Creek depending on the mood to deal with crowds. Apex or Golden Gate sometimes, but those are very crowded.

Obviously there are no extended climbs in TN like there are in CO, but I am curious if there is comparable fun riding within 60-90 mins of Chatt.

We are considering moving for reasons outside of MTB, but that is still on the list of things I would like to enjoy (one reason we are not moving to DFW).

Windrock? Not from the area, but a quick google search says its about a 1hr 45min drive from Chattanooga.

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 17:35 Quote
Jarrod’s Place and Walden Ridge are coming online this summer. Look them up.

Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
Raccoon Mountain is a favorite in Chattanooga. 20+ miles of singletrack. It is far from flat, although nothing like CO. It is known for having very technical rock sections and rolls. Enterprise South is my personal favorite. The trail maintenance is impeccable. Lots of flow, but you can run in to some challenges in the black diamond sections. Other lower profile trails would be White Oak and Bauxite. People plan trips to ride in Chattanooga, so I doubt you'd be too disappointed in the MTB scene.

Side note, it's not too far to my favorite trail of all time, Oak Mountain State Park in AL.

Edit: it's like 2.5 hours to Oak Mountain, but still

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
I'm in suburban Atlanta, about 2 hours from Chattanooga. I raced xc at Lookout Mountain 2 weeks ago (in the snow, and temps in the upper teens - cold!) and the trails were really fun. Chattanooga is a good spot to be based to have a small city feel and a decent number or riding opportunities. You have good local trails and fun day-trip/long weekends in north Georgia mountains, trails around Knoxville including Windrock, all the good stuff in Pisgah and Dupont and even Coldwater in Alabama. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2022 at 6:32 Quote
pbmo wrote:
... I am curious if there is comparable fun riding within 60-90 mins of Chatt.

I rode Racoon Mountain yesterday. So good. 2 options for 4 mile downhills and really fun single track up top. Easy place to shuttle too if you don't like to climb. I put in 17 miles and there's a bunch of stuff I didn't ride. I'll be back for sure!

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007463
Mobile Version of Website